Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify please

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 09-04-2009, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jim S
writes
The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but
I can offer any reasons why.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but
I can offer any reasons why.
I don't think any bromeliads have a tuber/bulb/corm (or whatever it is) like that. But as to what it is, I have no idea. It makes me wonder if a very young Beaucarnia recurvata might look like that, in which case the "bulb" is a caudex. I think you'd be more likely to get an authoritative answer on http://growingontheedge.net/
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Jim S wrote:

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

Is the "bulb/corm" a bit like a tiny coconut? A friend of mine
has one of those (not part of an arrangement) but I have no
idea what it is...

I hope that yours needs the same conditions as the orchid.
"Arrangers" can be a bit 'easy-ozie' about things like that!

What has Captain Hoseason got to do with it?

--
Rusty
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote ..

Stewart Robert Hinsley;837897 Wrote:
It looks as if it's some type of bromeliad. I'm thinking Tillandsia, but

I can offer any reasons why.

I don't think any bromeliads have a tuber/bulb/corm (or whatever it is)
like that. But as to what it is, I have no idea. It makes me wonder if a
very young Beaucarnia recurvata might look like that, in which case the
"bulb" is a caudex. I think you'd be more likely to get an
authoritative answer on http://growingontheedge.net/

Yes, it does look like three young Beaucarnia.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears
to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm
--

Does it flower? Maybe it is Billbergia nutans?

someone

Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Jim S wrote:

The plant I need identifying is the large fountain grass-like plant.
It is sharing the M&S arrangement with an orchid.
The leaves are quite firm and spring directly out of (no stem) what
appears to be a bulb/corm half buried in the compost.
Photos here show the arrangement and a close-up of the bulb/corm
below.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Plant.htm

Is the "bulb/corm" a bit like a tiny coconut? A friend of mine
has one of those (not part of an arrangement) but I have no
idea what it is...

I hope that yours needs the same conditions as the orchid.
"Arrangers" can be a bit 'easy-ozie' about things like that!

What has Captain Hoseason got to do with it?

What has Captain hoseason got to do with WHAT?

His nickname was 'Old Heasy-Oasy'...

--
Rusty