GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identification of Flower Urgently Needed! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183308-identification-flower-urgently-needed.html)

kerenza 05-05-2009 10:00 AM

Identification of Flower Urgently Needed!

This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=2.jpg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

gogo[_2_] 05-05-2009 03:29 PM

http://tinyurl.com/cqj7vg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant
shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

I was wondering if it could be a Doronicum caucasium??

Dave Hill 05-05-2009 03:49 PM

--
kerenza

Try the ordinary wild Dandelion http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dandelion.jpg
David Hill

Stewart Robert Hinsley 05-05-2009 04:44 PM

Identification of Flower Urgently Needed!

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 5 May, 10:00, kerenza wrote:
This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if
it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the
photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a
greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me
stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://tinyurl.com/cqj7vg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant
shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

--
kerenza

Try the ordinary wild Dandelion
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dandelion.jpg
David Hill

The Taraxacum officinale aggregate has a whorl of reflexed bracts, which
I don't see in the OP's photograph. The OP's photograph also seems to
have a single whorl of ray florets, which isn't right for Taraxacum as a
whole.

If I saw this in flower now I'd say Doronicum (leopardsbane) - Tussilago
(coltsfoot) has more ray florets. (I don't recall the nature of the
bracts in either genus, but Stace says that Doronicum has two whorls,
and Tussilago and Ligualaria one.)

It would help a little if we know when and where the photograph was
taken
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

beccabunga 06-05-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerenza (Post 842843)
This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=2.jpg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems confirms that.

kerenza 06-05-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 842951)
Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems confirms that.

It does look like Leopard's Bane:-) The photo was taken in June, in a Cotswold garden - I think a dandelion is very unlikely, as the garden owner is quite picky about her plants!

I have found a wider shot of this plant - will upload it later this morning. Thanks for everyone's help!

kerenza 06-05-2009 09:57 AM

Here's a slightly wider shot - although it's still not that helpful! Can see a bud in it and a bit of leaf. The picture was taken on the 11th of June in Gloucestershire.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...0605BH0117.jpg

Many thanks for any help;-)

Sacha[_4_] 06-05-2009 11:13 AM

Identification of Flower Urgently Needed!

On 2009-05-06 09:03:22 +0100, kerenza
said:

beccabunga;842951 Wrote:
Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems
confirms that.

It does look like Leopard's Bane:-) The photo was taken in June, in a
Cotswold garden - I think a dandelion is very unlikely, as the garden
owner is quite picky about her plants!

I have found a wider shot of this plant - will upload it later this
morning. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just curious - why an upside down flower photo?! Can you take a pic
down into the flower and show some leaves, too?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

beccabunga 06-05-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerenza (Post 843026)
Here's a slightly wider shot - although it's still not that helpful! Can see a bud in it and a bit of leaf. The picture was taken on the 11th of June in Gloucestershire.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...0605BH0117.jpg

Many thanks for any help;-)

Thanks - that confirms it as Doronicum.

kerenza 06-05-2009 05:19 PM

I wasn't the photographer. I've been given several photos from our photo library (that one for instance was taken a few years ago) to identify for use as greetings cards. I very much wish our photographers took shots that made it especially easy to identify the plants, rather than just pretty ones;-) I'll admit though, this is the only one I've had at that strange angle - I've managed to identify the others thankfully!