Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered User

Red face Identification of Flower Urgently Needed!

This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=2.jpg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identification of Flower Urgently Needed!

http://tinyurl.com/cqj7vg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant
shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

I was wondering if it could be a Doronicum caucasium??
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
kerenza

Try the ordinary wild Dandelion http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dandelion.jpg
David Hill
Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 5 May, 10:00, kerenza wrote:
This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if
it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the
photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a
greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me
stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://tinyurl.com/cqj7vg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant
shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.

--
kerenza

Try the ordinary wild Dandelion
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dandelion.jpg
David Hill

The Taraxacum officinale aggregate has a whorl of reflexed bracts, which
I don't see in the OP's photograph. The OP's photograph also seems to
have a single whorl of ray florets, which isn't right for Taraxacum as a
whole.

If I saw this in flower now I'd say Doronicum (leopardsbane) - Tussilago
(coltsfoot) has more ray florets. (I don't recall the nature of the
bracts in either genus, but Stace says that Doronicum has two whorls,
and Tussilago and Ligualaria one.)

It would help a little if we know when and where the photograph was
taken
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenza View Post
This is tricky one as it's a view from under the flower - I wondered if it was a Buphthalmum, but the underneath looks different from the photos I've seen.

I'm trying to identify this so I can write something about it for a greeting card in a range we produce at work - but this one has me stumped!

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will have an idea;-)

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=2.jpg

The only other picture in our library that I can find of this plant shows it to have long bare stems, if that helps.
Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems confirms that.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems confirms that.
It does look like Leopard's Bane:-) The photo was taken in June, in a Cotswold garden - I think a dandelion is very unlikely, as the garden owner is quite picky about her plants!

I have found a wider shot of this plant - will upload it later this morning. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Registered User

Here's a slightly wider shot - although it's still not that helpful! Can see a bud in it and a bit of leaf. The picture was taken on the 11th of June in Gloucestershire.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...0605BH0117.jpg

Many thanks for any help;-)
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 09:03:22 +0100, kerenza
said:

beccabunga;842951 Wrote:
Doronicum [Leopard's Bane] - your comment about the long bare stems
confirms that.

It does look like Leopard's Bane:-) The photo was taken in June, in a
Cotswold garden - I think a dandelion is very unlikely, as the garden
owner is quite picky about her plants!

I have found a wider shot of this plant - will upload it later this
morning. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just curious - why an upside down flower photo?! Can you take a pic
down into the flower and show some leaves, too?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenza View Post
Here's a slightly wider shot - although it's still not that helpful! Can see a bud in it and a bit of leaf. The picture was taken on the 11th of June in Gloucestershire.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...0605BH0117.jpg

Many thanks for any help;-)

Thanks - that confirms it as Doronicum.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered User

I wasn't the photographer. I've been given several photos from our photo library (that one for instance was taken a few years ago) to identify for use as greetings cards. I very much wish our photographers took shots that made it especially easy to identify the plants, rather than just pretty ones;-) I'll admit though, this is the only one I've had at that strange angle - I've managed to identify the others thankfully!

Help urgently needed! lights Bamboo 2 25-11-2008 09:39 AM
Shrub advice needed urgently! Mary Fisher United Kingdom 12 14-10-2007 02:38 PM
There is a present for you. Get urgently! IKEAGiftCenter Gardening 0 03-04-2006 10:03 AM