Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asparagus not sprouting

I planted about 25 Asparagus crowns in late March, and I only have two weedy
little sprouts coming up. So, worried that the crowns had rotted I dug a
couple up, what I found was a afew roots looking like the roots on the
crowns that I planted and a mass of white hair like roots but no crown. Any
ideas what is going on? I am in South Wales. The earth in that bed is very
humous rich, maybe they need a more sandy bed?

Your expert thoughts would be welcome.

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 16:17:44 +0100, "Hamer Family"
wrote:

I planted about 25 Asparagus crowns in late March, and I only have two weedy
little sprouts coming up. So, worried that the crowns had rotted I dug a
couple up, what I found was a afew roots looking like the roots on the
crowns that I planted and a mass of white hair like roots but no crown. Any
ideas what is going on? I am in South Wales. The earth in that bed is very
humous rich, maybe they need a more sandy bed?

Your expert thoughts would be welcome.

I cannot help but I have the same problem. Last Autumn I moved
allotments and dug up some of my existing plants and replanted them on
my new allotment, a smaller one next to the old one. Same soil, same
aspect etc.
I also bought 4 new plants. Very few have sprouted, and so far none
of the new ones have done so. I admit I didn't plant them the way
experts advise, but I would expect some growth by now.
The plants I left behind are sprouting nicely. I know they don't
like being moved but they should do something!
I'd also appreciate advice.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote:

[...]

I had an Asparagus thread going some little while back as I was expecting to
see green shoots. Comments on here were that we should. On digging them up,
they had rotted. We can only assume that whilst we were away in warmer
climes of Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore on our Winter Cruise, the severe
frost 'done them in'

We blame the weather

Mike

Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hamer Family wrote:
I planted about 25 Asparagus crowns in late March, and I only have two weedy
little sprouts coming up. So, worried that the crowns had rotted I dug a
couple up, what I found was a afew roots looking like the roots on the
crowns that I planted and a mass of white hair like roots but no crown. Any
ideas what is going on? I am in South Wales. The earth in that bed is very
humous rich, maybe they need a more sandy bed?

Your expert thoughts would be welcome.

Maybe you are being a little impatient. When I planted my 8 crowns 3
years ago I seem to remember them being a bit slow to what I expected.
One even skipped a season entirely and came up the following year!

So I'd suggest waiting a while longer.

The irony now is that a couple of years ago I collected the little
orange seeds on a couple of the plants and set those in a seed tray and
last year lots came up. A couple of days ago I finally got around to
splitting them out into separate pots and after setting around 25 strong
young plant am was left with around 30 good plants which have gone onto
the compost heap! It breaks my heart to throw away good plants but too
many is too many.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 May 2009 17:56:15 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

Hamer Family wrote:
[...]

Thanks David
That's encouraging. My original plants were all male so no seed but
I'm hoping some of my new ones may be female, if they come up.

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
wrote:

[...]

I have some older ones in my bed; only one is showing so far. Plus I
planted some new ones last year which are showing but seem very thin; I
guess they need a 2nd year to establish.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-11 16:17:44 +0100, "Hamer Family" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
A rather august organisation identified this as the shrubby Lonicera
maackii but we're not 100% convinced. Ours is very much in the apple
blossom range of pinks and whites and is fragrant, though not knock-out
standards. It's about 15' tall and about 8' spread and is a mature
specimen. Other descriptions of L. maackii have its flowers as white,
changing to cream and becoming yellow as they age and fade. This doesn't
match ours which is flushed pink in bud and opens to creamy pink. If it's
not L. maackii, does anyone have any other suggestions? It's not L.
purpusii or L. tatarica as we have both of those, also.
http://i40.tinypic.com/6hkt45.jpg

Sacha:
What is the favoured environment/climate for Lonicera? I ask this because I
occasionally find fossilised Lonicera pollen and I have been wondering
whether they are cool-temperate tolerant or more of a warm temperate group.
Graham

The more botanically inclined than I will be able to answer you
better, Graham. But as far as I can see they come from different
locations according to which they are. L. periclynenum is a British
native and I think L. maackii is from Australia while L. japonica is
from Japan. All grow successfully here so my guess is cool-temperate.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hamer Family wrote:
[...]

Freecycle!
(Or plant them on wasteland near you home)

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Old 20-05-2009, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hamer Family wrote:
Update - at the plot today I see that I am now the proud grower of three
skinny little asparagus shoots.

Time for a cigar!

Congratulations on your new arrivals! :-)

--
David in Normandy.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Don't eat them!