GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which secuteurs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/183763-secuteurs.html)

Judith in France 19-05-2009 12:20 PM

Which secuteurs?

On May 19, 12:03*pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message , K
writes

June Hughes writes

My garden has a penchant for trowels and I waste more time than enough
looking for them. *I find the answer is to have several left in
strategic places in the garden but even then seem to spend a lot of
time trying to remember where I left them.

It's my greenhouse (which doubles as a toolshed) which swallow trowels.
I have four of them.

In the house it's battery testers and white spirit which go missing
from my workshop. And G-clamps. All my tools have my initials engraved
on them - that seems to be working atm. Oh, and I have to keep a
separate pair of screwdrivers specifically for dismantling bird feeders
for washing.

At least that makes me feel better. *I tend to lose spectacles, keys,
mobile phone and calculators. *Not just a recent event - I've always
been like that :(
--
June Hughes

Hello, is your name Edward by any chance and do you find your specs on
your nose after hunting them down?

Judith

June Hughes 19-05-2009 12:34 PM

Which secuteurs?

In message
,
Judith in France writes

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 19-05-2009 12:50 PM

Which secuteurs?

In article ,
says...
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise - any
recommendations?

Felco.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_4_] 19-05-2009 02:12 PM

Which secuteurs?

On 2009-05-19 12:19:23 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On May 19, 9:32*am, K wrote:
Christina Websell writes

Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes
them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.

* Somewhere in my garden is my pruning saw and the remote key for my ca

r.
Despite exhaustive searches over a long period (and I know where I was
last using the saw) I have found neither. Gardens swallow things for
ever.

Otoh, when spreading he last lot of compost from the bottom of the bin,
I did find my breadknife. I suspect a teenager left it in a pizza box.
--
Kay

My neighbour asked if he could borrow my metal detector as he lost
something in the long grass; he found it, now he wants to borrow it
again looking for stuff he remembers he lost over the years!!! He has
a huge garden with a wild area so he may be searching for months.

Judith

The next question is "what will he use find the metal detector when
he's lost that?"! ;-)
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

robert 20-05-2009 10:59 AM

Which secuteurs?

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise - any
recommendations?

Felco.

I agree. I tried the majority of (the confusingly large) range before
settling on No 11. In the event that your wife has small hands No 6 may
be suitable.

--
Robert

Christina Websell 22-05-2009 01:31 AM

Which secuteurs?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 May 2009 09:24:54 +0100, "Kate Morgan"

wrote:

This time last year I had 3 pairs of secateurs now I am down to one, I
only
buy cheap ones

Me too for similar reasons.

Never buy small tools with green handles. You will never find them again.
Red or yellow gives you a bit of a chance.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 22-05-2009 01:25 PM

Which secuteurs?

In article ,
says...

wrote:

This time last year I had 3 pairs of secateurs now I am down to one, I
only
buy cheap ones

Me too for similar reasons.

Never buy small tools with green handles. You will never find them again.
Red or yellow gives you a bit of a chance.

The answer at least for secateurs is to never put them down! I have a
holster permantly on so I always have them to hand :~)