Old 18-05-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which secuteurs?

My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise - any
recommendations?

--
Selah
Old 18-05-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

--
Selah

Before you buy any, dig around in the compost bin

Been there, done that :-)

Mike

Old 18-05-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Gower" wrote
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

Generally regarded as the best are Felco (but they are best prices too).

http://www.performance-felco.co.uk/?...FRabnAodT01erw

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-05-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Stephen Gower" wrote
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

Generally regarded as the best are Felco (but they are best prices too).

http://www.performance-felco.co.uk/?...FRabnAodT01erw

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

I have a pair made in France for the vinyard people, they were made by
Didier (i think i pronounced it right). They are well made with leather
covered handles. These used to be sold by Axminster Power Tools (Mail Order)
but they dont currently list them. They are very good, and although i have
had them for years i recall they were a bit cheaper than Felco.

John
at the top end of Wirral

Old 18-05-2009, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Gower wrote:
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise - any
recommendations?

IMHO Felco #2 is the best all around secateur, anywhere. Used by French
professionals, too of course! And also available left-handed.

Pricey but worth it.

-E

Old 18-05-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have an 'apparently' French made pair (but maybe not)...........'Jardin de
France' Rubber covered handle, rachet anvil action, so will cut thick stuff.
Spare blares available.
Was about £25 I think. Not used a lot yet, but so far, well pleased.
http://www.jardin-defrance.com/
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-05-2009, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes them
shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.
Search.
My neighbour once lost his rake. He was upset and told me about it. I
noticed a rake up against a tree in his orchard. It was the one he was
looking for. He'd forgotten putting it there.

Tina

Old 19-05-2009, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes
them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.
Search.
My neighbour once lost his rake. He was upset and told me about it. I
noticed a rake up against a tree in his orchard. It was the one he was
looking for. He'd forgotten putting it there.

Tina

That's why I suggested that she looked in the Compost Heap ;-)

Mike

Old 19-05-2009, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My wife has lost her secateurs. All I know about them is that they were
nice, had wooden handles and the blades passed each other, rather than
being
anvil-type. I'd like to buy her a replacement pair, but as a surprise -
any
recommendations?

Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes
them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.
Search.
My neighbour once lost his rake. He was upset and told me about it. I
noticed a rake up against a tree in his orchard. It was the one he was
looking for. He'd forgotten putting it there.

Tina

This time last year I had 3 pairs of secateurs now I am down to one, I only
buy cheap ones
kate

Old 19-05-2009, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes
Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes
them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.

Somewhere in my garden is my pruning saw and the remote key for my car.
Despite exhaustive searches over a long period (and I know where I was
last using the saw) I have found neither. Gardens swallow things for
ever.

Otoh, when spreading he last lot of compost from the bottom of the bin,
I did find my breadknife. I suspect a teenager left it in a pizza box.
--
Kay

Old 19-05-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
My wife has lost her secateurs.

Before you buy any, dig around in the compost bin

Been there, done that :-)

Sadly, she thinks they probably went out in the green-bag for the council to
recycle :-(
--
Selah
Old 19-05-2009, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Christina Websell writes
Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife
takes them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the
garden.

Somewhere in my garden is my pruning saw and the remote key for my
car. Despite exhaustive searches over a long period (and I know where I
was last using the saw) I have found neither. Gardens swallow things
for ever.

My garden has a penchant for trowels and I waste more time than enough
looking for them. I find the answer is to have several left in
strategic places in the garden but even then seem to spend a lot of time
trying to remember where I left them.

Otoh, when spreading he last lot of compost from the bottom of the bin,
I did find my breadknife. I suspect a teenager left it in a pizza box.

Teenagers are good at doing things like that.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-05-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

June Hughes writes

My garden has a penchant for trowels and I waste more time than enough
looking for them. I find the answer is to have several left in
strategic places in the garden but even then seem to spend a lot of
time trying to remember where I left them.

It's my greenhouse (which doubles as a toolshed) which swallow trowels.
I have four of them.

In the house it's battery testers and white spirit which go missing from
my workshop. And G-clamps. All my tools have my initials engraved on
them - that seems to be working atm. Oh, and I have to keep a separate
pair of screwdrivers specifically for dismantling bird feeders for
washing.
--
Kay
Old 19-05-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
June Hughes writes

My garden has a penchant for trowels and I waste more time than enough
looking for them. I find the answer is to have several left in
strategic places in the garden but even then seem to spend a lot of
time trying to remember where I left them.

It's my greenhouse (which doubles as a toolshed) which swallow trowels.
I have four of them.

In the house it's battery testers and white spirit which go missing
from my workshop. And G-clamps. All my tools have my initials engraved
on them - that seems to be working atm. Oh, and I have to keep a
separate pair of screwdrivers specifically for dismantling bird feeders
for washing.

At least that makes me feel better. I tend to lose spectacles, keys,
mobile phone and calculators. Not just a recent event - I've always
been like that
--
June Hughes
Old 19-05-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 19, 9:32*am, K wrote:
Christina Websell writes

Losing your favourite secuteurs is the pits, but unless your wife takes
them shopping with her they are likely to be somewhere in the garden.

* Somewhere in my garden is my pruning saw and the remote key for my car.

Which herb in which bath! Derek[_6_] United Kingdom 10 03-02-2017 07:14 PM
which rose tigger Roses 6 08-04-2011 10:47 AM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) Bob LeChevalier Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:42 PM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) pearl Ponds 0 25-12-2007 06:57 PM
which tarp to use? David Modine Lawns 0 30-03-2003 01:56 PM