Old 21-05-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Canadian geneticist David Suzuki on GMO's

Famed Canadian geneticist David Suzuki answers, “The experiments simply
haven’t been done and we now have become the guinea pigs.” He adds,
“Anyone that says, ‘Oh, we know that this is perfectly safe,’ I say
is either unbelievably stupid or deliberately lying.”[xxix]

http://www.opednews.com/articles/3/A...90519-809.html

Dr. Schubert points out, “If there are problems, we will probably never
know because the cause will not be traceable and many diseases take a very
long time to develop.” If GMOs happen to cause immediate and acute
symptoms with a unique signature, perhaps then we might have a chance to
trace the cause.

This is precisely what happened during a US epidemic in the late 1980s.
The disease was fast acting, deadly, and caused a unique measurable change
in the blood—but it still took more than four years to identify that an
epidemic was even occurring. By then it had killed about 100 Americans and
caused 5,000-10,000 people to fall sick or become permanently disabled. It
was caused by a genetically engineered brand of a food supplement called
L-tryptophan.

If other GM foods are contributing to the rise of autism, obesity,
diabetes, asthma, cancer, heart disease, allergies, reproductive problems,
or any other common health problem now plaguing Americans, we may never
know. In fact, since animals fed GMOs had such a wide variety of problems,
susceptible people may react to GM food with multiple symptoms. It is
therefore telling that in the first nine years after the large scale
introduction of GM crops in 1996, the incidence of people with three or
more chronic diseases nearly doubled, from 7% to 13%.[xxx]

To help identify if GMOs are causing harm, the AAEM asks their “members,
the medical community, and the independent scientific community to gather
case studies potentially related to GM food consumption and health
effects, begin epidemiological research to investigate the role of GM
foods on human health, and conduct safe methods of determining the effect
of GM foods on human health.”

Citizens need not wait for the results before taking the doctors advice to
avoid GM foods. People can stay away from anything with soy or corn
derivatives, cottonseed and canola oil, and sugar from GM sugar
beets—unless it says organic or “non-GMO.” There is a pocket Non-GMO
Shopping Guide, co-produced by the Institute for Responsible Technology
and the Center for Food Safety, which is available as a download, as well
as in natural food stores and in many doctors’ offices.

If even a small percentage of people choose non-GMO brands, the food
industry will likely respond as they did in Europe—by removing all GM
ingredients. Thus, AAEM’s non-GMO prescription may be a watershed for
the US food supply.