GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pumpkin does not have any female flowers ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184068-re-pumpkin-does-not-have-any-female-flowers.html)

K 24-05-2009 07:52 PM

Pumpkin does not have any female flowers ??

gray writes
I tried last year and this year, but my pumpkin 'lady godiva' never
has any female flowers.

What am I not doing right ??/

I don't know about last year, but this year try a little more patience -
courgettes and marrows produce a whole lot of male flowers first before
starting producing female flowers, and I would expect a pumpkin to
behave in the same way.
--
Kay

malia 28-05-2009 04:23 PM

Make the most of the male flowers in the meantime. Remove the anthers, dip in batter (can be 'Besan' - the chick pea flour ) or egg and flour mixture with seasonign of choice and deep fry. enjoy your fritters and wait for the female flowers to appear on the scene!
Malia