GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone tell me what this insect is please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184111-can-anyone-tell-me-what-insect-please.html)

Nick 25-05-2009 11:44 PM

Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Des Higgins 25-05-2009 11:47 PM

On May 25, 11:44*pm, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

A dragonfly but do not know the species. There are maybe 10-20
species in UK plus some damsel flies (similar but smaller and wings
held vertically instead of horizontally when at rest).

robert 25-05-2009 11:59 PM

Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

In message , Nick
writes
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Dragonfly - Broad-bodied Chaser, Libellula depressa

--
Robert

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-05-2009 08:51 AM

Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

In message , robert
writes
In message , Nick
writes
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Dragonfly - Broad-bodied Chaser, Libellula depressa

See http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/lidep.html

But how do you tell that it's not Scarce Chaser, Libellula fulva, except
by locality?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Clive 26-05-2009 08:55 AM

"Nick" wrote in message
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Madagascan Bird Eating spider.

Judith in France 26-05-2009 09:44 AM

On May 25, 11:44*pm, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

A dragonfly, we have some beautiful blue ones in the garden here.

Judith

moghouse 26-05-2009 12:03 PM

On May 26, 8:55*am, "Clive" wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

...http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Madagascan Bird Eating spider.

Would you care to join our pub quiz team?

Sacha[_4_] 26-05-2009 01:40 PM

On 2009-05-25 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" said:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Don't know but it's a fantastic photo!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

bob[_1_] 26-05-2009 05:37 PM

On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. (uggh!)

moghouse 26-05-2009 07:09 PM

On May 26, 5:37*pm, bob wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. *I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. *(uggh!)

Isn't it a shame that the manufacturer did not have time to finish the
paint job on the wings!

robert 27-05-2009 01:43 PM

Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

In message , lid
writes
On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. (uggh!)

Excellent shot
--
Robert

bob[_1_] 27-05-2009 07:38 PM

Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:43:50 +0100, robert
wrote:

Excellent shot
--
Robert

thanks for the compliment, although I was lucky with the light and, in
any case, providing the insect doesn't scoot, it's almost impossible
to fail a close-up with a point and shoot in macro mode - I'm sure you
know.

As I was getting the camera out of its case, I watched it move its
head around. Fascinating, almost like a mechanical joint.