Old 25-05-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone tell me what this insect is please?

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Old 25-05-2009, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 25, 11:44*pm, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

A dragonfly but do not know the species. There are maybe 10-20
species in UK plus some damsel flies (similar but smaller and wings
held vertically instead of horizontally when at rest).
Old 25-05-2009, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick
writes
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Dragonfly - Broad-bodied Chaser, Libellula depressa

--
Robert
Old 26-05-2009, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , robert
writes
In message , Nick
writes
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Dragonfly - Broad-bodied Chaser, Libellula depressa

See http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/lidep.html

But how do you tell that it's not Scarce Chaser, Libellula fulva, except
by locality?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-05-2009, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick" wrote in message
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Madagascan Bird Eating spider.

Old 26-05-2009, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 25, 11:44*pm, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

A dragonfly, we have some beautiful blue ones in the garden here.

Judith
Old 26-05-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 8:55*am, "Clive" wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

...http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Madagascan Bird Eating spider.

Would you care to join our pub quiz team?
Old 26-05-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-25 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" said:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Don't know but it's a fantastic photo!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 26-05-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. (uggh!)
Old 26-05-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 26, 5:37*pm, bob wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. *I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. *(uggh!)

Isn't it a shame that the manufacturer did not have time to finish the
paint job on the wings!

Old 27-05-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lid
writes
On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:44:21 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_90551.jpg

Pic taken Berkshire yesterday.
Many thanks,

Nick.

Snap!!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2058.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the low buzzing sound and slowish
flight. I thought it might be a hornet but I assumed with those double
wings it would be some sort of dragonfly.

This is the final of my half a dozen or so photos as I was able to get
closer and closer. I'd just picked off some flower heads from the
rhodie and in another photo which I seem to have discarded, it looked
as though it had stuck a probosus into the broken off head it's now
staring at and was bringing up a liquid of sorts. (uggh!)

Excellent shot
--
Robert
Old 27-05-2009, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:43:50 +0100, robert
wrote:

Excellent shot
--
Robert

thanks for the compliment, although I was lucky with the light and, in
any case, providing the insect doesn't scoot, it's almost impossible
to fail a close-up with a point and shoot in macro mode - I'm sure you
know.

As I was getting the camera out of its case, I watched it move its
head around. Fascinating, almost like a mechanical joint.