GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet William and Wallflowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184226-sweet-william-wallflowers.html)

Bill P. 29-05-2009 03:19 PM

Sweet William and Wallflowers

Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

moghouse 29-05-2009 10:57 PM

On May 29, 3:19*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?

I did try it a few years ago, but it was not successful, the SW
particularly are hard to prick out. I have gone back to sowing in the
vegetable patch in mid summer.

K 29-05-2009 11:45 PM

Sweet William and Wallflowers

moghouse writes
On May 29, 3:19*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?

I did try it a few years ago, but it was not successful, the SW
particularly are hard to prick out. I have gone back to sowing in the
vegetable patch in mid summer.

I sow in pots because seedlings in the ground end to get taken by slugs.
I treat both as perennials so don't worry about timing. I sow April-May
but whether that's the best time I haven't a clue!

I don't transplant until they're at the small plant stage, and sometimes
I simply plant out in small clumps - depends how bored I get.
--
Kay

cineman 30-05-2009 11:26 PM

Sweet William and Wallflowers

Just planted Sweet William seeds in cell trays,, one per cell ( hopefully)
As soon as they are big enough they will be potted on to larger cells to
grow.
Done this every 2 years for several years, always get a good show.
Cineman
West Midlands

Bill P. 31-05-2009 06:40 AM

Sweet William and Wallflowers

Thanks every one for your input.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Bill P. 31-05-2009 06:43 AM

Re; Cineman Sweet William and Wallflowers

"cineman" wrote in message
Just planted Sweet William seeds in cell trays,, one per cell ( hopefully)
As soon as they are big enough they will be potted on to larger cells to
grow.
Done this every 2 years for several years, always get a good show.
Cineman
West Midlands

Thanks Cineman just what I wanted to know.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham