Old 29-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet William and Wallflowers

Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 29-05-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 3:19*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?

I did try it a few years ago, but it was not successful, the SW
particularly are hard to prick out. I have gone back to sowing in the
vegetable patch in mid summer.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

moghouse writes
On May 29, 3:19*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
Does anyone sow Sweet William and wallflower seeds in pots insted of outside
in the garden (lack of space) If so when is the best time to sow in pots in
a cold frame?

I did try it a few years ago, but it was not successful, the SW
particularly are hard to prick out. I have gone back to sowing in the
vegetable patch in mid summer.

I sow in pots because seedlings in the ground end to get taken by slugs.
I treat both as perennials so don't worry about timing. I sow April-May
but whether that's the best time I haven't a clue!

I don't transplant until they're at the small plant stage, and sometimes
I simply plant out in small clumps - depends how bored I get.
--
Kay
Old 30-05-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just planted Sweet William seeds in cell trays,, one per cell ( hopefully)
As soon as they are big enough they will be potted on to larger cells to
grow.
Done this every 2 years for several years, always get a good show.
Cineman
West Midlands

Old 31-05-2009, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks every one for your input.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 31-05-2009, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Re; Cineman Sweet William and Wallflowers

"cineman" wrote in message
Just planted Sweet William seeds in cell trays,, one per cell ( hopefully)
As soon as they are big enough they will be potted on to larger cells to
grow.
Done this every 2 years for several years, always get a good show.
Cineman
West Midlands

Thanks Cineman just what I wanted to know.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Sweet William seedlings? Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 3 04-10-2012 06:33 PM
Divide Sweet William KD Gardening 1 29-06-2006 02:02 PM
she wants to burn sweet codes throughout William's swamp [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 02:55 PM
sweet william Steve Jackson United Kingdom 3 13-07-2003 11:14 PM
Bare rooted Sweet William plants -- where to get them ?? Bob United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 06:48 PM