Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Railway Sleeper seeping?

Probably something I've done wrong but yesterday I forwarded
a request for guidance on preventing tar seeping through the
surface of old railway sleepers used in the making of raised beds. At
least I *thought* I had, but I can find no sign of it this evening?

Excuse me if I'm being being obtuse, but I'd greatly appear
any advice you may be able to help me in stopping this problem.

Best Regards

Jon.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathon wrote:
Probably something I've done wrong but yesterday I forwarded
a request for guidance on preventing tar seeping through the
surface of old railway sleepers used in the making of raised beds. At
least I *thought* I had, but I can find no sign of it this evening?

Excuse me if I'm being being obtuse, but I'd greatly appear
any advice you may be able to help me in stopping this problem.

Best Regards

Jon.

Keep a supply of sawdust handy and on hot days when tar starts seeping
out, rub in the sawdust to soak up the tar. It will stop eventually -
honest!

Bob
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:21:33 +0100, Jonathon wrote:

Probably something I've done wrong but yesterday I forwarded a request
for guidance on preventing tar seeping through the surface of old
railway sleepers used in the making of raised beds.

Prevention, not a lot. Live with it, hope they aren't raised beds for food
production. I'd be a little wary of the leechate getting into the crop.
And if they really are old sleepers then they are probably well soaked in
the "deposits" from trains. And I don't mean oil and grease...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Watch out that stuff is bad. its like creosote.

In fact you cannot use 'used' railway sleepers in many situations any
more.

I quoted a job at a retirement home who wanted a raised bed, for the
wheelchair residents, only to find that the sleepers were prhoibited
due to the cancerous and skin buring effect. I had to use new 'old'
effect railway sleepers.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:35:02 +0100, gray
wrote:

Watch out that stuff is bad. its like creosote.

In fact you cannot use 'used' railway sleepers in many situations any
more.

I quoted a job at a retirement home who wanted a raised bed, for the
wheelchair residents, only to find that the sleepers were prhoibited
due to the cancerous and skin buring effect. I had to use new 'old'
effect railway sleepers.

Thank you for the warning. Yours is probably the definitive answer.

Regards

Jon