GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trouble with Cordyline australis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/184649-trouble-cordyline-australis.html)

GardenReg 11-06-2009 02:04 PM

Trouble with Cordyline australis

I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

Bob Hobden 11-06-2009 02:53 PM

Trouble with Cordyline australis

"GardenReg" wrote...

I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

We have never had a problem with ours and they flower profusely every year.
Dead and yellowing leaves are falling off now but they are also putting on
new growth.The one I can see from here has 6 flower spikes on this side
alone.
Are you sure they survived this last winter?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Pete C[_2_] 11-06-2009 03:56 PM

GardenReg wrote:
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

That is a flower spike. They usually take about 8 - 10 years to produce the
first one. Have you fed it?
--
Pete C
London UK

Judith in France 11-06-2009 04:31 PM

Trouble with Cordyline australis

On Jun 11, 2:04*pm, GardenReg
wrote:
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

--
GardenReg

I can't see the photo?

Judith

Bob Hobden 11-06-2009 05:05 PM

Trouble with Cordyline australis

"Judith in France" wrote ...
I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

I can't see the photo?

No, being a non binary Newsgroup you can't attach a photo, or at least the
servers will strip it off, but if you come here via the web site
Gardenbanter they have their own system of posting a photo to their servers
and posting a link here. Just like me using "flickr" really.
So to the original poster, either look up and use the Gardenbanter photo
system and post a link here or use something like flickr and post a link
here.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 12-06-2009 02:07 PM

Trouble with Cordyline australis

In article ,
says...

I have 4 Cordyline australis in my garden. We live in south west
scotland and they have withstood the 2 winters we have been here ok. I
believe they are around 10 years old. Over the last couple of months
each tree has sprouted an inner almost foliage/seed growth. All the
leaves which were a rich green before are now starting to yellow and
look distressed, Should I cut away the inner growth. It is totally
different from the leaves and looks very healthy, but I very much dont
want to lose the beautiful spikey leaves of the palms. Photo attached.

--
GardenReg

Could be they are trying to flower, the flower spikes come from the
centre and normally coincide with the oldest leaves yellowing and
dropping off.
It is also more than possible that the plants are suffering from frost
damage as the temperatures this last winter were quite close to killing
them back to the ground.
Either way although its ok to remove yellow leaves leave the rest alone
and await developments!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk