Old 28-06-2009, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Two things

I just read this and am confused about what it means to "bolt"

.. I would be careful growing like this as fennel can bolt when transplanted.

And

this spring it bolted again

What does it mean please Thanks Jon

Old 28-06-2009, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message
I just read this and am confused about what it means to "bolt"

. I would be careful growing like this as fennel can bolt when
transplanted.

And

this spring it bolted again

What does it mean please Thanks Jon

Oh and one more thing when someone says something will not bulb up, like
fennel what do they mean

Old 28-06-2009, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jon writes

"Jon" wrote in message
I just read this and am confused about what it means to "bolt"

. I would be careful growing like this as fennel can bolt when
transplanted.

And

this spring it bolted again

What does it mean please Thanks Jon

It's produced a flower stem. Usually flower stems are tougher to the
extent of indelibility, or like lettuce, they may be very bitter. And in
things which are meant to produce a swollen root (like a radish),
producing a flower stem means that the plants doesn't bother with the
root swelling - after all, they've now achieved their aim of flowers
hence seeds and reproduction, and don't need to build up food stores to
try again next year.

Oh and one more thing when someone says something will not bulb up,
like fennel what do they mean

Fennel for use as a vegetable has a swollen stem base a bit like a bulb.
Sometimes it doesn't happen!

--
Kay