GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Provado Insecticide (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185551-provado-insecticide.html)

Ann Hartley 08-07-2009 09:38 AM

Provado Insecticide

I think I used the wrong one on Broad Beans, so will have to dig them
up. It said on the aerosol can do not use on vegetables.

My question is does it contaminate the soil, if so, for how long
before I can use to grow veg. again?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-07-2009 11:45 AM

Provado Insecticide

In article ,
says...

I think I used the wrong one on Broad Beans, so will have to dig them
up. It said on the aerosol can do not use on vegetables.

My question is does it contaminate the soil, if so, for how long
before I can use to grow veg. again?

It does not effect the soil but can last over 6 weeks in the plant
tissues, its leathal to bees visiting the flowers over nearly all that
time and should be used with great caution in my view. It seems that its
use by the farming industry (on crops like sunflowers) may well be one of
the contribitors to the problems bees are having.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

K 08-07-2009 02:08 PM

Provado Insecticide

Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

I think I used the wrong one on Broad Beans, so will have to dig them
up. It said on the aerosol can do not use on vegetables.

My question is does it contaminate the soil, if so, for how long
before I can use to grow veg. again?

It does not effect the soil but can last over 6 weeks in the plant
tissues, its leathal to bees visiting the flowers over nearly all that
time and should be used with great caution in my view. It seems that its
use by the farming industry (on crops like sunflowers) may well be one of
the contribitors to the problems bees are having.

What's the active ingredient? Is it imidacloprid?
--
Kay

Ann Hartley 08-07-2009 03:02 PM

Provado Insecticide

Hello K,

Charlie Pridham writes

In article ,
says...

I think I used the wrong one on Broad Beans, so will have to dig
them up. It said on the aerosol can do not use on vegetables.

My question is does it contaminate the soil, if so, for how long
before I can use to grow veg. again?

It does not effect the soil but can last over 6 weeks in the plant
tissues, its leathal to bees visiting the flowers over nearly all
that time and should be used with great caution in my view. It seems
that its use by the farming industry (on crops like sunflowers) may
well be one of the contribitors to the problems bees are having.

What's the active ingredient? Is it imidacloprid?

Yes and mediocarb. Ann

rupert 09-07-2009 09:15 AM

Provado Insecticide

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

I think I used the wrong one on Broad Beans, so will have to dig them
up. It said on the aerosol can do not use on vegetables.

My question is does it contaminate the soil, if so, for how long
before I can use to grow veg. again?

It does not effect the soil but can last over 6 weeks in the plant
tissues, its leathal to bees visiting the flowers over nearly all that
time and should be used with great caution in my view. It seems that its
use by the farming industry (on crops like sunflowers) may well be one of
the contribitors to the problems bees are having.

What's the active ingredient? Is it imidacloprid?
--
Kay

Worth noting that Provado vine weevil killer contains the same chemical but
is approx x60 stronger