Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default onions gone to seed - edible stems ?

Hello,

My red onions went to seed this year. I picked off the flower heads but the
'stems' have grown strongly.

Are the stems edible ? They have a fine strong smell !

Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dido22 wrote:
Hello,

My red onions went to seed this year. I picked off the flower heads but
the 'stems' have grown strongly.

Are the stems edible ? They have a fine strong smell !

Thanks

I've finally run out of onions stored last year so have started
harvesting them fresh from the garden. If the stems are in reasonable
condition they are fine to use for culinary purposes. Just chop them up
fine and gently fry for a few minutes. They don't take as long to cook
as chopped onions of course, but they do impart an oniony flavour to
food. Also work well in stir fries. If any stems feel a little rubbery
when chopping then don't use them. Ideally they should be crisp and chop
easily.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello,

My red onions went to seed this year. I picked off the flower heads but
the 'stems' have grown strongly.

Are the stems edible ? They have a fine strong smell !

I've found that the stems of onions gone to seed are stringy, you can use
them to flavour soups etc, but remove them afterwards.

Tina

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default onions gone to seed - edible stems ? - Thanks

hello again

I often make soup, thanks for this