GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID please. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185599-id-please.html)

Fitty 10-07-2009 01:06 AM

ID please.

Hi there.

I bought this shrub a couple of years ago and can't remember it's name. I would like to take prune it as it's getting quite large now but not sure when to do this. I'd also like to take some cuttings if possible.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=Bush.jpg

Thanks

Fitty.

DaveP 10-07-2009 09:35 AM

ID please.

It's a Deutzia, probably 'The Magician' although there are one or two
with semi-bicoloured flowers. As for pruning, the best time is
immediately after flowering - do it too late and you lose some or all
of the flowers for the following year. It might be a good idea to
cut half of the biggest stems away now and leave the others until next
year. Although they can be hard-pruned if this is carried out from
the start, some Deutzias react badly to suddenly being cut back hard
after several years of unrestricted growth.

beccabunga 10-07-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitty (Post 855405)
Hi there.

I bought this shrub a couple of years ago and can't remember it's name. I would like to take prune it as it's getting quite large now but not sure when to do this. I'd also like to take some cuttings if possible.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=Bush.jpg

Thanks

Fitty.

Deutzia gracilis.

Prune after flowering, removing any dead wood and taking branches back to a bud.

Fitty 10-07-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 855466)
Deutzia gracilis.

Prune after flowering, removing any dead wood and taking branches back to a bud.

Thanks a lot guys you've been very helpful

Fitty