Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Halifax WRY
Thumbs down ID please.

Hi there.

I bought this shrub a couple of years ago and can't remember it's name. I would like to take prune it as it's getting quite large now but not sure when to do this. I'd also like to take some cuttings if possible.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=Bush.jpg

Thanks

Fitty.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID please.

It's a Deutzia, probably 'The Magician' although there are one or two
with semi-bicoloured flowers. As for pruning, the best time is
immediately after flowering - do it too late and you lose some or all
of the flowers for the following year. It might be a good idea to
cut half of the biggest stems away now and leave the others until next
year. Although they can be hard-pruned if this is carried out from
the start, some Deutzias react badly to suddenly being cut back hard
after several years of unrestricted growth.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Hi there.

I bought this shrub a couple of years ago and can't remember it's name. I would like to take prune it as it's getting quite large now but not sure when to do this. I'd also like to take some cuttings if possible.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=Bush.jpg

Thanks

Fitty.

Deutzia gracilis.

Prune after flowering, removing any dead wood and taking branches back to a bud.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Halifax WRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Deutzia gracilis.

Prune after flowering, removing any dead wood and taking branches back to a bud.
Thanks a lot guys you've been very helpful

Fitty