Old 11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered User

Default Small front garden - what to plant?

Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davver79 View Post
Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!
Is the garden shady or sunny?

Erythroniums, ferns and hostas if shady.
Lavenders and oregano if sunny.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-11 23:13:23 +0100, beccabunga
said:

davver79;855579 Wrote:
Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There
is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with
cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the
ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the
look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get
overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I
would be most grateful. Thanks!

Is the garden shady or sunny?

Erythroniums, ferns and hostas if shady.
Lavenders and oregano if sunny.

Hellebores for winter flowering, Sarcocca confusa for winter flowers
and scent, some of the smaller flowered Vincas, Campanulas both tall
and low growing. Pop in some Tete a tete daffodil bulbs in groups of
odd numbers so that they look more natural; marigolds, Geranium Jolly
Bee (hardy geranium not pelargonium) marigolds, lavender if the soil is
well drained and sunny, ditto rosemary.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-07-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote in message

davver79;855579 Wrote:
Hi,

I have a terrace house with a small front garden approx 1m x 4m. There
is a small wall at the front just under 1m high. I have a problem with
cats so I want to grow perennial plants, and plants that will cover the
ground, leaving little bare soil. I like cottage gardens and that's the
look I want, but every time I go to the garden centre I just get
overwhelmed and come away with nothing! If anyone has any suggestions I
would be most grateful. Thanks!

Is the garden shady or sunny?

Erythroniums, ferns and hostas if shady.
Lavenders and oregano if sunny.

--

beccabunga

Bergenias, Campanula, Francoa and Heucheras, Primulas for edging.
Helleborus hybrids, Dicentra spectabilis, Aquilegias, Alliums, hardy
Fuchsias (esp. Mrs.Popple), Meconopsis cambrica, Heleniums, Astrantia,
Leucanthemums, Verbena bonariensis, Papaver orientalis, Anemone hybrida/
hupehensis, Tricyrtis, Asters, Roses (standards would be better, giving you
some height and allowing you to underplant), for creating a colourful
border. Save some spaces (I often plant an empty plant pot to designate a
hole-to-be-planted) to cram in a mixture of winter-spring flowering bulbs.
Choose from Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis), Winter Aconites (Eranthis
Hyemalis), Crocuses, Chionadoxa. For late spring into summer, plant
Fritillaria meleagris, Tritelia and Lilies. You could use early and late
tulips to unite these two seasons.

I have not included trees or evergreen shrubs because of your limited space.
However, some of the plants I have named are evergreen. For extra colour,
especially in winter, you could use bedding plants in containers and stand
them on bare areas.

Hope this helps.
Spider