GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Should I train a weeping willow? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185675-should-i-train-weeping-willow.html)

MM 13-07-2009 07:28 AM

Should I train a weeping willow?

I bought and planted a weeping willow about three years ago and it is
really thriving. It's become a sturdy plant with lots of new shoots in
the spring. Trouble is, it only ever seems to grow DOWNwards! By that
I mean the branches are firmly all clumped together pointing DOWN.
When I gently take one of the newer, thinner, and thus more pliable
branches it can be lifted upwards quite a way. But of course, when I
let go it falls back down again. There is no sign that this tree/bush
on its own will ever spread upwards and seems destined to remain an
ever thicker "clump" close to the ground. (Maybe I'll add a picture to
my web site later so that readers can see what I mean.)

But is the conventional practice to train the branches, either by
staking or with guide wires? Or do I just leave the plant and let
nature take its course?

MM

Linesnapper 13-07-2009 11:19 AM

In reality you can train any plant or tree - some take to it a lot better and far easier than others though ;-)

Do you know exactly want type of Willow (latin or trade name) you have as there are many types out there?

Some Willow names and latin examples:

Babylon Weeping. Salix babylonica.
Black-toothed. Salix nigra.
Crack. Salix fragilis.
Pussy. Salix discolor.
Shining. Salix lucida.
Weeping. Salix babylonica.
White. Salix alba.

Broadback[_2_] 13-07-2009 11:55 AM

MM wrote:
[...]

They are called weeping willow for that very reason. I have one that is
several years old now, it is still weeping but the trunk is longer, so
it is growing upwards in that respect. Near me is a very large mature
one, quite high, but still the branches brush the ground, it is their habit.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

beccabunga 13-07-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MM (Post 855795)
[...]

That seems about usual for a weeping willow. I would leave it be. It will eventually put on main stem growth.

The only other possibility is that you have a Kilmarnock willow, which is not as elegant, and is usually grafted.

MM 13-07-2009 04:09 PM

Should I train a weeping willow?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:39:27 +0100, beccabunga
wrote:

MM;855795 Wrote:
[...]

Mine does look like it's grafted.

MM