Old 13-07-2009, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MM MM is offline

Default Should I train a weeping willow?

I bought and planted a weeping willow about three years ago and it is
really thriving. It's become a sturdy plant with lots of new shoots in
the spring. Trouble is, it only ever seems to grow DOWNwards! By that
I mean the branches are firmly all clumped together pointing DOWN.
When I gently take one of the newer, thinner, and thus more pliable
branches it can be lifted upwards quite a way. But of course, when I
let go it falls back down again. There is no sign that this tree/bush
on its own will ever spread upwards and seems destined to remain an
ever thicker "clump" close to the ground. (Maybe I'll add a picture to
my web site later so that readers can see what I mean.)

But is the conventional practice to train the branches, either by
staking or with guide wires? Or do I just leave the plant and let
nature take its course?

MM
Old 13-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire

In reality you can train any plant or tree - some take to it a lot better and far easier than others though ;-)

Do you know exactly want type of Willow (latin or trade name) you have as there are many types out there?

Some Willow names and latin examples:

Babylon Weeping. Salix babylonica.
Black-toothed. Salix nigra.
Crack. Salix fragilis.
Pussy. Salix discolor.
Shining. Salix lucida.
Weeping. Salix babylonica.
White. Salix alba.
__________________
You may give someone an education, but you cannot give them common sense.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

MM wrote:
[...]

They are called weeping willow for that very reason. I have one that is
several years old now, it is still weeping but the trunk is longer, so
it is growing upwards in that respect. Near me is a very large mature
one, quite high, but still the branches brush the ground, it is their habit.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM View Post
[...]

That seems about usual for a weeping willow. I would leave it be. It will eventually put on main stem growth.

The only other possibility is that you have a Kilmarnock willow, which is not as elegant, and is usually grafted.
Old 13-07-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:39:27 +0100, beccabunga
wrote:

MM;855795 Wrote:
[...]

Mine does look like it's grafted.

MM

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM