Old 13-07-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Old 13-07-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Just need some rain?! Please - do come on over!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-07-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

I *knew* she'd come on here boasting about that stuff. She's been like a cat
with two tails ever since she emptied the bin.
I have to agree though it does look good. If I get fed half as well as her
plants this summer I'll need a diet by Christmas.

RG

Old 13-07-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

;-)) Now, now! No domestics here! ;-)

Old 14-07-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:25:24 +0100, RG wrote:

She's been like a
cat with two tails ever since she emptied the bin.

Wouldn't that imply anger in a cat? She's been angry?

Old 13-07-2009, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

Oooh! That's two invites in one evening! I reckon you're just buttering me
up so you can get your hands on my compost :~). Some rain would be nice,
though. Can you waft a cloud over here, please?

Spider

Old 13-07-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

Need your compost? Ha! There's a small mountain 'up the field'! As
to the rain - I wish. It started again tonight, slow but heavy and has
stopped now. A few days as we were would be very good!

Old 13-07-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins
and gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I
am so smug, it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready,
so I'm going to be impossible to live with this week :~)).

'Compost' is my favourite subject and I am green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!
You are soooooooooooo lucky)))) Enjoy!!!

Old 14-07-2009, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so
smug, it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going
to be impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this
really splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as
well let the worms finish the job :~)

Compost.................Now there's an earthy word.

Ours ?
Alternative layers of garden debris, shredded of course with horse poo.
At last I have a use for her neddy and its friends in the paddock who
produce the best poo mix.
Dug in last year to veg patch, left the other half un-manured. (Experiment
to "Her indoors" to prove that digging it in works)
*Everything* grows better and stronger, plus tastes better.

Baby spuds, and carrots are divine.

Old 14-07-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

You're really lucky to have horse poo. We once bought some horse poo from a
Dulwich stable, but the price was rather high. I resent paying for
something that is, in all honesty, free waste. Anyway, 'Him indoors' won't
have a tetanus shot, so I daren't use HP for fear he gets something he'll
never get rid of. It's just as well I can produce good compost without it.
I do use chicken poo pellets for a seasonal boost, though.

Spider

Old 14-07-2009, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Most of the stables round here (Dartford) *give* it away as there's too
much.
Let me know if you're interested in any and I'll see what's available at our
yard.
nthkentman
at
mail dot com

Old 14-07-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

That's very kind, and I'll bear it in mind. Thank you :~)

Spider

Old 14-07-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:43:39 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Snip

You're really lucky to have horse poo. We once bought some horse poo from a
Dulwich stable, but the price was rather high. I resent paying for
something that is, in all honesty, free waste. Anyway, 'Him indoors' won't
have a tetanus shot, so I daren't use HP for fear he gets something he'll
never get rid of. It's just as well I can produce good compost without it.
I do use chicken poo pellets for a seasonal boost, though.

Spider

I thought you paid for the back breaking work of collecting and
bagging the stuff and feeding the horses / ponies in the first place.

Rather like the old fashioned TV repairer - called out - looked at the
set - thumped it - picture back. Charged £1, that's steep said the
customer; "how do you work that out?" Well said the repairer - the
thumps 6d - knowing where to thump - 19/6d.

You probably need to muliply by 100 to get it up to date.
Feeding horses & ponies is just about the same - but in any case I
think horse manure is now controlled waste so you probably can't buy
it at all nowadays.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Norris" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:43:39 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Snip

[...]

LOL! Thumping good yarn :~)

You probably need to muliply by 100 to get it up to date.
Feeding horses & ponies is just about the same - but in any case I
think horse manure is now controlled waste so you probably can't buy
it at all nowadays.

Goodness. The horses must be shi**ing themselves laughing! In our
'reduce-reuse-recycle everything' world that is plainly off-the-scale crass.
Anyway, I'm still not paying for it, so there! :~)

Spider

Old 15-07-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 14, 10:21*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Roy Norris" wrote in message

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:43:39 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Snip

[...]

LOL! *Thumping good yarn :~)

You probably need to muliply by 100 to get it up to date.
Feeding horses & ponies is just about the same - but in any case I
think horse manure is now controlled waste so you probably can't buy
it at all nowadays.

Goodness. *The horses must be shi**ing themselves laughing! *In our
'reduce-reuse-recycle everything' world that is plainly off-the-scale crass.
Anyway, I'm still not paying for it, so there! :~)

Spider

LOL

Judith