Old 13-07-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Old 13-07-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Just need some rain?! Please - do come on over!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-07-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins
and gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I
am so smug, it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready,
so I'm going to be impossible to live with this week :~)).

'Compost' is my favourite subject and I am green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!
You are soooooooooooo lucky)))) Enjoy!!!

Old 13-07-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

I *knew* she'd come on here boasting about that stuff. She's been like a cat
with two tails ever since she emptied the bin.
I have to agree though it does look good. If I get fed half as well as her
plants this summer I'll need a diet by Christmas.

RG

Old 13-07-2009, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

Oooh! That's two invites in one evening! I reckon you're just buttering me
up so you can get your hands on my compost :~). Some rain would be nice,
though. Can you waft a cloud over here, please?

Spider

Old 13-07-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

;-)) Now, now! No domestics here! ;-)

Old 13-07-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-13 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider" said:

[...]

Need your compost? Ha! There's a small mountain 'up the field'! As
to the rain - I wish. It started again tonight, slow but heavy and has
stopped now. A few days as we were would be very good!

Old 14-07-2009, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so
smug, it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going
to be impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this
really splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as
well let the worms finish the job :~)

Compost.................Now there's an earthy word.

Ours ?
Alternative layers of garden debris, shredded of course with horse poo.
At last I have a use for her neddy and its friends in the paddock who
produce the best poo mix.
Dug in last year to veg patch, left the other half un-manured. (Experiment
to "Her indoors" to prove that digging it in works)
*Everything* grows better and stronger, plus tastes better.

Baby spuds, and carrots are divine.

Old 14-07-2009, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

The late Geoffrey Smith once said that compost should be such that you
could fancy it in a sandwich. Anyone fancy a sandwich?

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-07-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:25:24 +0100, RG wrote:

She's been like a
cat with two tails ever since she emptied the bin.

Wouldn't that imply anger in a cat? She's been angry?

Old 14-07-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

You're really lucky to have horse poo. We once bought some horse poo from a
Dulwich stable, but the price was rather high. I resent paying for
something that is, in all honesty, free waste. Anyway, 'Him indoors' won't
have a tetanus shot, so I daren't use HP for fear he gets something he'll
never get rid of. It's just as well I can produce good compost without it.
I do use chicken poo pellets for a seasonal boost, though.

Spider

Old 14-07-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 13, 7:09*pm, "Spider" wrote:
This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. *I am so smug,
it's painful! *I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. *I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. *They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. *Might just as well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Spit, I'm jealous, my 2 bins look as if they are going very slowly
despite the contents of... er.. ehm, bladders :-)

Judith
Old 14-07-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Mine looked really yummy. I offered RG ('Him indoors') compost pie for
dinner, but he turned it down. There's no pleasing some people.

Spider

Old 14-07-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

LOL. I have been adding chicken poo to mine and it seems to be
working, without it, the contents hadn't even started to break down, b
Old 14-07-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes

wrote:

[...]