Old 15-07-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Almond and Walnut problems - Any ideas

ALMONDS

Here's Almond photo only just taken. Almond has had its outer husk all
pealed off then the kernel taken from out of its skin. The floor is
covered in husk shaving etc. Any ideas or suggestions.

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/plant_cen...os/almond6.jpg

WALNUTS

Here's some other photos just taken of my Walnut tree (Juglans Regia).
The trees are about 15 years old and every year this happens. I have
previously just put it down to late frosts killing the tips. But his
year we have not had any late frosts. The 30cm tips have been
'chewed', causing the tip to bend over, almost dropping off. The 2nd
photo is after a couple of weeks, covering all of the walnut trees.

Now this is the first year that these walnuts have had a noticeable
large crop. But all of the nuts have now dissapeared, I am wondering
if the chew mark was were the nuts were.

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/plant_cen...os/walnut6.jpg
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/plant_cen...os/walnut7.jpg

I apologise for the file size, but I think its justified to illustrate
the point.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
gray wrote:

Here's some other photos just taken of my Walnut tree (Juglans Regia).
The trees are about 15 years old and every year this happens. I have
previously just put it down to late frosts killing the tips. But his
year we have not had any late frosts. The 30cm tips have been
'chewed', causing the tip to bend over, almost dropping off. The 2nd
photo is after a couple of weeks, covering all of the walnut trees.

Boggle. Given the healthy look of the other leaves, that can be
only something chewing the shoots - definitely NOT frost! Losing
nuts can be squirrels, but it's a little early for them to do that.

Sorry, dunno.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote after
gray wrote:

Here's some other photos just taken of my Walnut tree (Juglans Regia).
The trees are about 15 years old and every year this happens. I have
previously just put it down to late frosts killing the tips. But his
year we have not had any late frosts. The 30cm tips have been
'chewed', causing the tip to bend over, almost dropping off. The 2nd
photo is after a couple of weeks, covering all of the walnut trees.

Boggle. Given the healthy look of the other leaves, that can be
only something chewing the shoots - definitely NOT frost! Losing
nuts can be squirrels, but it's a little early for them to do that.

Sorry, dunno.

Do you get Parakeets where you are?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-07-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gray" wrote in message
[...]

It's more likely to be squirrels taking the walnuts, it is a bit early but
they will be very hungry.

Alan

Almond fruiting Sacha United Kingdom 4 21-10-2007 10:16 PM
Squashes, physalis, almond plants Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 12-06-2007 02:43 PM
almond camotto Plant Science 0 21-04-2004 12:04 PM
how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM