GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shirley (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185822-shirley.html)

Shirleyp 19-07-2009 10:25 AM

Shirley

Hi All,
this is my first time on this list, can anyone advise me? I have the above Campanula's and now that the flowers have all more or less spent now, I notice that there is a lot of new growth underneath.

Should I cut back the old stems now? I have been deadheading them and there are still some new buds coming along but they are very small.

Shirley
Cambridge UK

beccabunga 19-07-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirleyp (Post 856863)
Hi All,
this is my first time on this list, can anyone advise me? I have the above Campanula's and now that the flowers have all more or less spent now, I notice that there is a lot of new growth underneath.

Should I cut back the old stems now? I have been deadheading them and there are still some new buds coming along but they are very small.

Shirley
Cambridge UK

With herbaceous plants, cut back to the new growth when the flowers are pretty much over. You may well get a second flush of flowers. Which campanula is it?

Shirleyp 19-07-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 856865)
With herbaceous plants, cut back to the new growth when the flowers are pretty much over. You may well get a second flush of flowers. Which campanula is it?

Thankyou for your reply they are "Kent Belle" and "Elizabeth"

Can you also help me with the "Anthemis", we have had a lot of problems they are lovely until the flower stems get too long and then they just get all matted up and look a mess, we have cut two back to the ground and another just about a third off what would be the best way to handle these.

Shirley

beccabunga 20-07-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirleyp (Post 856866)
Thankyou for your reply they are "Kent Belle" and "Elizabeth"

Can you also help me with the "Anthemis", we have had a lot of problems they are lovely until the flower stems get too long and then they just get all matted up and look a mess, we have cut two back to the ground and another just about a third off what would be the best way to handle these.

Shirley

What you have done is fine.