GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   vine weevil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/185874-vine-weevil.html)

[email protected] 20-07-2009 07:55 PM

vine weevil

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

aquachimp 20-07-2009 09:26 PM

vine weevil

On Jul 20, 8:55*pm, wrote:
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

Got any local hedgehogs that might wander in if you kindly left the
door open overnight?

Sacha[_4_] 20-07-2009 10:44 PM

vine weevil

On 2009-07-20 19:55:09 +0100, said:

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

Nematodes. Look up suppliers on the internet. Use NO chemical sprays.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Jeanne Stockdale 20-07-2009 10:45 PM

vine weevil

wrote in message
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

We had a serious infestation a few years ago - in grow bags containing
strawberries. We carefully dug out the plants that had not been killed off,
washed the roots to ensure no grubs remained, potted on (in pots) into fresh
compost. Then got rid of all the old grow bags, and transplanted the potted
plants into new growbags - again washing the roots just to be sure. We then
applied nematodes in Autumn and Spring and (fingers crossed) finally
eradicated the problem.

It was a lengthy process but worth doing

Jeanne

echinosum 22-07-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 857158)
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

The easy way to kill the larvae, which kill plants by eating the roots, is to buy vine-weevil killer chemical, which you water onto the soil at intervals of 4 months. It's systemic, so you should not eat this year's crop off the plant in the case of edible crops. If you have adults eating the leaves, probably you have grubs also, and they are doing worse damage.

Sacha[_4_] 22-07-2009 03:29 PM

vine weevil

On 2009-07-20 19:55:09 +0100, said:

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

We use nematodes here and they work brilliantly. Vine weevil is not a
problem for us.
But you can't use them and chemicals, too - one or t'other.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=