Old 20-07-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default vine weevil

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks
Old 20-07-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 20, 8:55*pm, wrote:
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

Got any local hedgehogs that might wander in if you kindly left the
door open overnight?
Old 20-07-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-20 19:55:09 +0100, said:

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

Nematodes. Look up suppliers on the internet. Use NO chemical sprays.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-07-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

We had a serious infestation a few years ago - in grow bags containing
strawberries. We carefully dug out the plants that had not been killed off,
washed the roots to ensure no grubs remained, potted on (in pots) into fresh
compost. Then got rid of all the old grow bags, and transplanted the potted
plants into new growbags - again washing the roots just to be sure. We then
applied nematodes in Autumn and Spring and (fingers crossed) finally
eradicated the problem.

It was a lengthy process but worth doing

Jeanne

Old 22-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks
The easy way to kill the larvae, which kill plants by eating the roots, is to buy vine-weevil killer chemical, which you water onto the soil at intervals of 4 months. It's systemic, so you should not eat this year's crop off the plant in the case of edible crops. If you have adults eating the leaves, probably you have grubs also, and they are doing worse damage.

Old 22-07-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-20 19:55:09 +0100, said:

How can I get rid of vineweevil in my greenhouse----- Thanks

We use nematodes here and they work brilliantly. Vine weevil is not a
problem for us.
But you can't use them and chemicals, too - one or t'other.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Vine weevil - Armillatox David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:44 PM
Vine weevil Annabel United Kingdom 1 12-05-2003 12:32 PM
Giant Vine weevil ??????? bnd777 United Kingdom 9 20-04-2003 11:44 PM
Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil. [email protected] United Kingdom 13 03-04-2003 06:44 PM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM