Old 22-07-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Default Japanese Knotweed - piece on BBC Breakfast news 23rd July 2009

Hi

If anyone's interested I've just been told to look out for Simon Ford on BBC
Breakfast news tomorrow morning. He'll be live from Newark Park between 0700
and 0900 discussing Japanese Knotweed and a new DEFRA consultation about
introducing an insect to eat it.

That's all the info I have but I thought it might be of interest to someone.

Tim
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lusername/
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old 22-07-2009, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim wrote:
Hi

If anyone's interested I've just been told to look out for Simon Ford on
BBC Breakfast news tomorrow morning. He'll be live from Newark Park
between 0700 and 0900 discussing Japanese Knotweed and a new DEFRA
consultation about introducing an insect to eat it.

That's all the info I have but I thought it might be of interest to
someone.
Tim

May cause an even greater problem - look at the introduction of the Cane
Toad in Queensland. Then again, in the same country, the Mexican Cochineal
insect wiped out the Opuntia which had gone crazy over there, and then died
out as its host plant had gone.

--
Jeff

Old 22-07-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Tim wrote:
Hi

If anyone's interested I've just been told to look out for Simon Ford on
BBC Breakfast news tomorrow morning. He'll be live from Newark Park
between 0700 and 0900 discussing Japanese Knotweed and a new DEFRA
consultation about introducing an insect to eat it.

That's all the info I have but I thought it might be of interest to
someone.
Tim

May cause an even greater problem - look at the introduction of the Cane
Toad in Queensland. Then again, in the same country, the Mexican Cochineal
insect wiped out the Opuntia which had gone crazy over there, and then died
out as its host plant had gone.

There's already been press about this. Supposedly they've been careful
about testing that the insect doesn't switch to any native plants. See,
for example

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Predator...bug.5027366.jp
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-07-2009, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Tim wrote:
[...]

More info he
http://www.cabi.org/japaneseknotweed...te=139&page=50

I find this statement in tha FAQs interesting:

"Will releasing a natural control agent eradicate Japanese knotweed in the
UK?
No. Eradication is not the normal outcome of natural control since it is not
in the agent's best interest to eradicate its only food source. Long-term
control, below an economic or environmental threshold, should be
anticipated."

Seems that they are suggesting the psyllid bug has some degree of choice in
the matter! The cochineal insect eradicated opuntia. We can only hope that
the psyllid bug will be able to do the same.

--
Jeff

Old 23-07-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Tim wrote:
[...]

There's another reason for not expecting eradication. When Japanese
Knotweed becomes scarce the bugs will find it difficult to locate the
last few remaining plants, and therefore become scarce themselves,
giving the knotweed a respite. What they are aiming for is a stable
equilibrium at a low frequency - complete eradication would be a bonus
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 23-07-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

There's another reason for not expecting eradication. When Japanese
Knotweed becomes scarce the bugs will find it difficult to locate the
last few remaining plants, and therefore become scarce themselves,
giving the knotweed a respite. What they are aiming for is a stable
equilibrium at a low frequency - complete eradication would be a bonus

I have the impression that it would be a miracle.
I will record the programme on DVD to give to the head warden of the
park where I work in a group of a dozen or so volunteers.
It is all we can do to keep certain areas free from Balsam weed, with
repeat visits to remove any small roots remaining.

Do these bugs kill the roots of Knotweed, which seem to creep
underground and pop up close by? At least that is my perception,
BICBW. The warden has to apply for a licence each year to treat
the Knotweed, but it reappears each year in an area between a pool and
the river, and surrounded by Balsam, which has to be removed first or
the Knotweed is hidden. It is a losing battle...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 23-07-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:03:36 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

There's another reason for not expecting eradication. When Japanese
Knotweed becomes scarce the bugs will find it difficult to locate the
last few remaining plants, and therefore become scarce themselves,
giving the knotweed a respite. What they are aiming for is a stable
equilibrium at a low frequency - complete eradication would be a bonus

What if the bugs adapt to eat other plants?

Teach 'em to like Himalayan Balsam, hopefully. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 22-07-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim wrote:
Hi

If anyone's interested I've just been told to look out for Simon Ford
on BBC Breakfast news tomorrow morning. He'll be live from Newark
Park between 0700 and 0900 discussing Japanese Knotweed and a new
DEFRA consultation about introducing an insect to eat it.

That's all the info I have but I thought it might be of interest to
someone.
Tim

Meddling.......again
--