Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Abundence project on bbc breakfast

Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogga View Post
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
I remember seeing fruit trees planted along the roadside in Germany,
could work, but the idea of some elderly lady toddling along the M25
with a carrier bag on her zimmer frame to get a handful of apples makes
me shudder.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Perry wrote:
mogga;813975 Wrote:
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I remember seeing fruit trees planted along the roadside in Germany,
could work, but the idea of some elderly lady toddling along the M25
with a carrier bag on her zimmer frame to get a handful of apples
makes
me shudder.

Oh I don't know, it might solve the problem of us wrinklies getting to
numerous!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mogga writes
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?

The nature reserve (1) I help look after has apples, cherries and plums.
Working parties in the right season are very pleasant ;-)

(1) It's an urban reclaimed site (with old mill ponds, stream and
surrounding fields) so as well as the native stuff, we get gifts from
local gardeners.
--
Kay

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Perry View Post
I remember seeing fruit trees planted along the roadside in Germany,
could work, but the idea of some elderly lady toddling along the M25
with a carrier bag on her zimmer frame to get a handful of apples makes
me shudder.
Fruit trees, especially apples, are common roadside trees in the Czech republic, quiet country roads not motorways though. Unlike British people, many Czechs can actually be bothered to go out and pick them. Indeed don't grow fruit too close to your fence in that country if you want to eat it yourself - fruit within reach of passers-by is considered fair game. In Britain, many people don't even seem to be bothered to pick the fruit in their own garden.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:24:00 +0100, K wrote:

mogga writes
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?

The nature reserve (1) I help look after has apples, cherries and plums.
Working parties in the right season are very pleasant ;-)

(1) It's an urban reclaimed site (with old mill ponds, stream and
surrounding fields) so as well as the native stuff, we get gifts from
local gardeners.

That sounds interesting - how long has it been a nature reserve?

We've got Moston Brook not far away and that'll have blackberries but
thats all I've seen on it.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mogga writes
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:24:00 +0100, K wrote:

mogga writes
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?

The nature reserve (1) I help look after has apples, cherries and plums.
Working parties in the right season are very pleasant ;-)

(1) It's an urban reclaimed site (with old mill ponds, stream and
surrounding fields) so as well as the native stuff, we get gifts from
local gardeners.

That sounds interesting - how long has it been a nature reserve?

Since sometime in the 1980s - the Mill closed in the 60s, the council
'landscaped' it so it became an unofficial rubbish tip. Local man got
permission to tidy it and start planting, and we took over when he died
in 1994.

Website in definite need of updating, but tells a bit about it:
www.enginefields.org.uk
--
Kay

Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , mogga
writes

(1) It's an urban reclaimed site (with old mill ponds, stream and
surrounding fields) so as well as the native stuff, we get gifts from
local gardeners.

And some not so local

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , mogga
writes

(1) It's an urban reclaimed site (with old mill ponds, stream and
surrounding fields) so as well as the native stuff, we get gifts from
local gardeners.

And some not so local

Indeed. We have the Tweedy Copse :-)
--
Kay
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

mogga;813975 Wrote:
Did anyone else see this? A group in Sheffield shaking trees to get
the fruit off and passing it on to local groups and charities.

I can't think of a single apple tree on public land where I live - am
I just not looking hard enough?

Should the govt plant a fruit tree for every person all around the UK?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I remember seeing fruit trees planted along the roadside in Germany,
could work, but the idea of some elderly lady toddling along the M25
with a carrier bag on her zimmer frame to get a handful of apples
makes
me shudder.

Do it for her then.

Mary

--
Tim Perry

Japanese Knotweed - piece on BBC Breakfast news 23rd July 2009 Tim United Kingdom 32 31-07-2009 11:39 AM
Breakfast Guess Barbara2245 Ponds 8 01-07-2003 09:25 PM
Grey Heron came for breakfast FBCS Ponds 27 28-06-2003 10:08 PM