Old 24-07-2009, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Senecio Sunshine

Hi. I have what I believe is a Senecio Sunshine shrub in my garden. Can
anybody tell me if you can take cuttings from this or does some of it
need to be taken up by the roots to be transplanted? If I can take
cuttings, how would I do that exactly?

I'm just looking to add it elsewhere in the garden.

Many thanks from a complete gardening numpty.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 24 July, 16:07, Maelstrom21 wrote:
Hi. I have what I believe is a Senecio Sunshine shrub in my garden. *Can
anybody tell me if you can take cuttings from this or does some of it
need to be taken up by the roots to be transplanted? *If I can take
cuttings, how would I do that exactly?

I'm just looking to add it elsewhere in the garden.

Many thanks from a complete gardening numpty.

We used to call it Senecio greyii, When I was a lad and working at the
local parks dept in Hastings, we had a hedge if it right along the
bottom of the putting green.
I was asked by the parks superintendant to take cuttings, How many?
All you can.
I took around 2000 and didnt loose more than 50, if that. No rooting
powder, just cuttings 9to 12 inches long lower leaves removed and
poshed into the soil. taken at the end of Sept. they rooted through
the winter and were ready to plant out in the spring.
They still root like weeds for me.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 24-07-2009, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 4:07*pm, Maelstrom21 wrote:
Hi. I have what I believe is a Senecio Sunshine shrub in my garden. *Can
anybody tell me if you can take cuttings from this or does some of it
need to be taken up by the roots to be transplanted? *If I can take
cuttings, how would I do that exactly?

I'm just looking to add it elsewhere in the garden.

Many thanks from a complete gardening numpty.

At last something I know well!!! Just tear off bits about 9 inches
long, take off tips and plunge up to their necks in a sandy mixture,
outside, in October.

Judith

Weed of the Week: Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris) Mad Cow Garden Photos 6 04-10-2013 05:34 PM
Senecio "Sunshine" S-edge swordedge Garden Photos 3 04-07-2008 05:56 PM
Senecio Aardvark United Kingdom 2 02-09-2004 07:54 PM
Senecio Mandraliscae aka Blue Chalk Sticks in Malaysia anthony_eu Gardening 3 12-03-2003 04:44 AM
Roses and sunshine Gail Futoran Roses 0 24-01-2003 02:09 AM