Old 25-07-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrubs for sheltered shady spot

Hi All

I am needing suggestions for shrubs for shady sheltered spot.

I have moved my shed and am now left with a corner that looks bare.

I plan to plant them in large containers.

I have ferns there at the moment but would prefer evergreen.

--
Evelyn

www.ushad.co.uk
My aim in life is to be as good as my dogs think I am.

Old 25-07-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-25 12:56:29 +0100, Evelyn Usher said:

Hi All

I am needing suggestions for shrubs for shady sheltered spot.

I have moved my shed and am now left with a corner that looks bare.

I plan to plant them in large containers.

I have ferns there at the moment but would prefer evergreen.

Sarcococca confusa, Hamamelis, Aucubas, Choisya, Azaleas, clump
forming bamboos, Berberis, Viburnums, Mahonias, Hollies, Skimmias.
You'd need to check for hardiness in your particular area.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-07-2009, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
Hi All

I am needing suggestions for shrubs for shady sheltered spot.

I have moved my shed and am now left with a corner that looks bare.

I plan to plant them in large containers.

I have ferns there at the moment but would prefer evergreen.

--
Evelyn

www.ushad.co.uk
My aim in life is to be as good as my dogs think I am.

Variegated shrubs aren't popular with everyone, but I think they work well
in a shady site as they seem to illuminate the gloom. I'm very fond of
Euonymous 'Silver Queen', but any of the variegated hollies (Ilex) would be
good, and hardy. Although it's not evergreen, you might get away with a
Fuchsia in light shade. It will give you seasonal interest, being
deciduous, and a reasonable amount of flower. Also consider adding
Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis), Brunnera 'Jack Frost', Anemone hybrida
(autumn flowering, white or pink).

Before you rush to buy anything, it is worth considering what is creating
the shade. If it is a building, than it's going to be dry and (possibly)
unremittingly shady. If it's trees, they may shed their leaves (if
deciduous) and offer more light in spring. It may be possible to thin and
raise the crown of the tree to let more light in during the year.

I assume you're planting in pots because the absent shed has left a concrete
base. If this is so, consider building a low wall and creating a raised bog
garden. If you put wide coping on it, you will also have an informal
seating area where you can sip your wine in the shade during summer
heatwaves :~). If this is viable and of interest, come back and I'm sure I
(and others) will be able to suggest plants for moist conditions.

Spider