GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   butterfly garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186374-butterfly-garden.html)

hazchem[_2_] 07-08-2009 02:51 PM

butterfly garden

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Bob Hobden 07-08-2009 03:17 PM

butterfly garden

"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stewart Robert Hinsley 07-08-2009 03:23 PM

butterfly garden

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

Also Sedum spectabile.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_4_] 07-08-2009 04:46 PM

butterfly garden

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Ophelia[_4_] 07-08-2009 08:12 PM

butterfly garden

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem
said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a new
garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in existence

jollyhockeystic 07-08-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 859821)
"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

I was going to leave a piece of my garden to grow wild to encourage insects and birds but do I really need to leave the nettles?

Paul Luton[_2_] 07-08-2009 10:12 PM

butterfly garden

hazchem wrote:
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

For nectar - plants with single flowers covering as much of the year
as possible. For feeding caterpillars nettles in sun are good for some
but particular species need particular plants. Holly and ivy for blue
butterflies.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

K 07-08-2009 10:52 PM

butterfly garden

jollyhockeystic writes

"hazchem" wrote...-
-
They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

I was going to leave a piece of my garden to grow wild to encourage
insects and birds but do I really need to leave the nettles?

No. There are enough nettles around that they aren't the limiting
factor.
They're the food plant of caterpillars of half a dozen butterfly
species. You can attract the butterflies by attracting the adults
according to suggestions you've had, and then there are all the other
caterpillars that don't feed on nettles ...
--
Kay

Bob Hobden 07-08-2009 11:02 PM

butterfly garden

"K" wrote ...
jollyhockeystic writes
Bob Hobden;859821
"hazchem" wrote...-
[...]

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)
And lots of bees if you let them flower.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sue[_3_] 07-08-2009 11:46 PM

butterfly garden

"Ophelia"
Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a
new garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in
existence g

Hebe, Verbena bonariensis and Scabious are good as well.

--
Sue

Ophelia[_4_] 08-08-2009 07:22 AM

butterfly garden

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh:)

Ophelia[_4_] 08-08-2009 07:23 AM

butterfly garden

"Sue" wrote in message

"Ophelia"
Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a new
garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in
existence g

Hebe, Verbena bonariensis and Scabious are good as well.

Thank you:)) I am particularly pleased by the Scabious, because my
grandparents grew them and they bring back lovely memories:)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-08-2009 12:31 PM

butterfly garden

In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh:)

I think he was joking :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ophelia[_4_] 08-08-2009 12:38 PM

butterfly garden

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh:)

I think he was joking :~)

Um.. oh! I assumed he meant the flowers would attract the bees. The
flowers from the brassicas not the .......................

I'll get me coat.

Ophelia[_4_] 08-08-2009 02:39 PM

butterfly garden

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:38:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-
)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh:)

I think he was joking :~)

Um.. oh! I assumed he meant the flowers would attract the bees. The
flowers from the brassicas not the .......................

I'll get me coat.

Over or under?

Pah :p