Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butterfly garden

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

Also Sedum spectabile.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem
said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a new
garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in existence

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"hazchem" wrote...
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

I was going to leave a piece of my garden to grow wild to encourage insects and birds but do I really need to leave the nettles?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hazchem wrote:
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

For nectar - plants with single flowers covering as much of the year
as possible. For feeding caterpillars nettles in sun are good for some
but particular species need particular plants. Holly and ivy for blue
butterflies.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

jollyhockeystic writes

"hazchem" wrote...-
-
They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

I was going to leave a piece of my garden to grow wild to encourage
insects and birds but do I really need to leave the nettles?

No. There are enough nettles around that they aren't the limiting
factor.
They're the food plant of caterpillars of half a dozen butterfly
species. You can attract the butterflies by attracting the adults
according to suggestions you've had, and then there are all the other
caterpillars that don't feed on nettles ...
--
Kay
Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote ...
jollyhockeystic writes
Bob Hobden;859821
"hazchem" wrote...-
[...]

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)
And lots of bees if you let them flower.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia"
Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a
new garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in
existence g

Hebe, Verbena bonariensis and Scabious are good as well.

--
Sue

Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh

Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"Ophelia"
Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a new
garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in
existence g

Hebe, Verbena bonariensis and Scabious are good as well.

Thank you) I am particularly pleased by the Scabious, because my
grandparents grew them and they bring back lovely memories

Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Yes, you'll get some pretty white ones if you plant brassicas. :-)

Will they not eat the leaves?

And lots of bees if you let them flower.

Ahh

I think he was joking :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall