GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pollination of runner beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186499-pollination-runner-beans.html)

K 13-08-2009 04:26 PM

pollination of runner beans

I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I
had that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was
giving all its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring
the red flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most
of the bee pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and
pinky-blue, which is why so many of our flowers are that colour and so
few are bright orange or bright red. But that left me wondering - do
white flowered runner beans set better than red flowered?
--
Kay

wafflycat 14-08-2009 11:01 AM

"K" wrote in message
I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I had
that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was giving all
its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring the red
flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most of the bee
pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and pinky-blue, which is
why so many of our flowers are that colour and so few are bright orange or
bright red. But that left me wondering - do white flowered runner beans set
better than red flowered?
--
Kay

Bees of various kinds visiting and pollinating my beans of all types in
large numbers. This is good :)

alan.holmes 14-08-2009 06:21 PM

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I had
that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was giving all
its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring the red
flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most of the bee
pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and pinky-blue, which is
why so many of our flowers are that colour and so few are bright orange or
bright red. But that left me wondering - do white flowered runner beans
set better than red flowered?
--
Kay

Bees of various kinds visiting and pollinating my beans of all types in
large numbers. This is good :)

My mummy taught me to polinate beans by spraying them with water from a
hose!

Alan