Old 13-08-2009, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default pollination of runner beans

I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I
had that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was
giving all its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring
the red flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most
of the bee pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and
pinky-blue, which is why so many of our flowers are that colour and so
few are bright orange or bright red. But that left me wondering - do
white flowered runner beans set better than red flowered?
--
Kay
Old 14-08-2009, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I had
that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was giving all
its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring the red
flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most of the bee
pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and pinky-blue, which is
why so many of our flowers are that colour and so few are bright orange or
bright red. But that left me wondering - do white flowered runner beans set
better than red flowered?
--
Kay

Bees of various kinds visiting and pollinating my beans of all types in
large numbers. This is good

Old 14-08-2009, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I had
that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was giving all
its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring the red
flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most of the bee
pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and pinky-blue, which is
why so many of our flowers are that colour and so few are bright orange or
bright red. But that left me wondering - do white flowered runner beans
set better than red flowered?
--
Kay

Bees of various kinds visiting and pollinating my beans of all types in
large numbers. This is good

My mummy taught me to polinate beans by spraying them with water from a
hose!

Alan