GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb - Can it be True? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186811-rhubarb-can-true.html)

TheScullster 24-08-2009 04:35 PM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand :( )
Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the first year.
Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a couple
of sticks?

TIA

Phil

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_295_] 24-08-2009 09:19 PM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand :( )
Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the first year.
Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a couple
of sticks?

TIA

Phil

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as you
suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

TheScullster 25-08-2009 08:34 AM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as
you suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the
season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Thanks Robert

But the plant is still producing new stalks - will these be woody this late
in the season?

Phil

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_296_] 25-08-2009 05:55 PM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as
you suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the
season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Thanks Robert

But the plant is still producing new stalks - will these be woody this
late in the season?

Phil

Probably not but I believe they are not so tasty so late on, then again if
they're new shoots perhaps they are ok. Only one way to find out

Pete C[_2_] 25-08-2009 08:15 PM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand
:( ) Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the
first year. Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a
couple of sticks?

TIA

Phil

Cutting stalks in the first year encourages the plant to produce yet more
stalks. On the other hand, not cutting in the first year encourages stronger
root growth. :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Roy Bailey 27-08-2009 09:00 AM

Rhubarb - Can it be True?

In article , Pete C
writes

Cutting stalks in the first year encourages the plant to produce yet more
stalks. On the other hand, not cutting in the first year encourages stronger
root growth. :)

I have always understood that you should not cut rhubarb but pull the
stalk from the base.

Apparently this encourage the plant to put out more shoots.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.