Old 24-08-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb - Can it be True?

Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand )
Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the first year.
Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a couple
of sticks?

TIA

Phil

Old 24-08-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand )
Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the first year.
Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a couple
of sticks?

TIA

Phil

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as you
suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 25-08-2009, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as
you suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the
season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Thanks Robert

But the plant is still producing new stalks - will these be woody this late
in the season?

Phil

Old 25-08-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote

That's the normal advice but I daresay it won't miss a couple stalks as
you suggest but personally I wouldn't want to eat it at this end of the
season

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Thanks Robert

But the plant is still producing new stalks - will these be woody this
late in the season?

Phil

Probably not but I believe they are not so tasty so late on, then again if
they're new shoots perhaps they are ok. Only one way to find out

Old 25-08-2009, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I planted rhubarb at the end of last year (don't have variety to hand
) Anywho, I read somewhere that it should not be picked in the
first year. Can this be true?
My plant is about 4' high and the same in diameter - will it miss a
couple of sticks?

TIA

Phil

Cutting stalks in the first year encourages the plant to produce yet more
stalks. On the other hand, not cutting in the first year encourages stronger
root growth.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2009, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete C
writes

Cutting stalks in the first year encourages the plant to produce yet more
stalks. On the other hand, not cutting in the first year encourages stronger
root growth.

I have always understood that you should not cut rhubarb but pull the
stalk from the base.

Apparently this encourage the plant to put out more shoots.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.