GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My water butt is empty (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186832-my-water-butt-empty.html)

David WE Roberts 25-08-2009 02:18 PM

My water butt is empty

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Gopher 25-08-2009 02:37 PM

My water butt is empty

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

There you go! That's why the swallows have gone!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Dave Hill 25-08-2009 03:19 PM

My water butt is empty

On 25 Aug, 14:37, Gopher wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

There you go! That's why the swallows have gone!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!- Hide quoted text -

Stolen it...Ba Humbug!!!!
You must ship it in better containers that don't leak it all out over
us here in Wales whilst it is in transit.
David Hill

David in Normandy[_8_] 25-08-2009 04:02 PM

My water butt is empty

Janet Baraclough wrote:

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Can I have it please if I connect a pipe from there to Normandy?
The ground is baked hard and cracking here.
Water butt is empty, underground storage tank nearly empty. Next resort
pumping from the well at the other end of our property.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Emery Davis[_2_] 25-08-2009 05:15 PM

My water butt is empty

David in Normandy wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Can I have it please if I connect a pipe from there to Normandy?
The ground is baked hard and cracking here.
Water butt is empty, underground storage tank nearly empty. Next resort
pumping from the well at the other end of our property.

At least you've got options left. Our well in the courtyard has
dropped below the level I can reach with the pump, about 9m.
The other well is still OK but much too far away, and downhill, to
reach the garden.

-E

Sacha[_4_] 25-08-2009 05:18 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-25 14:18:10 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Guilty as charged. ;-) We've had a real mix of sun and showers here
but v. sunny and quite hot inside a greenhouse this pm! More cloud
piling up over the hills.

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

I'll see what we can do............ ;-))

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Rance 25-08-2009 06:05 PM

My water butt is empty

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, David WE Roberts wrote:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has been
leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty enough to
do anything about it.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

mark 25-08-2009 06:42 PM

My water butt is empty

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from David in Normandy contains these
words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Can I have it please if I connect a pipe from there to Normandy?

Of course. I'll just plug this end into a downpipe from the roof.

The ground is baked hard and cracking here.
Water butt is empty, underground storage tank nearly empty. Next resort
pumping from the well at the other end of our property.

Wait till you're bathing in a washing up bowl and turning your
underwear inside out for another day..that's
short of water :- (

Can you cover the soil surface with plastic or carpet, or stones, to
conserve any dew and reduce evaporation?

Which turn of the undies are you on Janet? :-)

Very dry over in my bit of Norfolk.

mark

David WE Roberts 25-08-2009 06:51 PM

My water butt is empty

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David WE Roberts" contains these words:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Yes, I stole almost a foot of it in the last 10 days.

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Janet (Arran)

There you go: "|"
[Obscure computing joke which will warm the cockles of the nerdish heart
:-) ]

David in Normandy[_8_] 25-08-2009 07:16 PM

My water butt is empty

David WE Roberts wrote:

There you go: "|"
[Obscure computing joke which will warm the cockles of the nerdish heart
:-) ]

Groan. I think you should chr(27) while you still can and never chr(13).
If you hear someone ring the chr(7) don't chr(6) it! :-)

Anyway. Having done a chr(12) and chr(10) it is time to feed myself.
Bye for now chr(4).

Broadback[_2_] 26-08-2009 08:34 AM

My water butt is empty

David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, David WE Roberts wrote:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has been
leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty enough to
do anything about it.

David

Where do you live Dave E? We will all go there for our holidays!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

David Rance 26-08-2009 09:26 AM

My water butt is empty

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

David in Normandy[_8_] 26-08-2009 10:05 AM

My water butt is empty

David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 26-08-2009 12:48 PM

My water butt is empty

In article ,
says...
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

I hope you took cover while typing that! we have had barely a weeks sun
all summer and have had rain every single day since June
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 12:51 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 12:48:12 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

I hope you took cover while typing that! we have had barely a weeks sun
all summer and have had rain every single day since June

It's strong winds and almost constant rain here today. Yesterday was
pretty good but it's back into autumnal mode today.

hugh 26-08-2009 02:36 PM

My water butt is empty

In message , David Rance
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

Big fella. Wears a hat with a tail and carries a big knife named after a
pop star I think.
--
hugh

alan.holmes 26-08-2009 03:01 PM

My water butt is empty

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

You will have to move your water butt to where it is raining!

Alan

Emery Davis[_2_] 26-08-2009 03:47 PM

My water butt is empty

David in Normandy wrote:
David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

That's what my neighbors say, anyway! :)

-E

Gordon H[_3_] 26-08-2009 04:41 PM

My water butt is empty

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David WE Roberts" contains these words:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Yes, I stole almost a foot of it in the last 10 days.

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Janet (Arran)

There you go: "|"
[Obscure computing joke which will warm the cockles of the nerdish
heart :-) ]

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H[_3_] 26-08-2009 04:43 PM

My water butt is empty

In message , David in Normandy
writes

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

I only know of Norman and Mandy.

(I'll get me coat)...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

mark 26-08-2009 05:30 PM

My water butt is empty

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...

You need to work on this anecdote.
mark

David Rance 26-08-2009 06:09 PM

My water butt is empty

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, David in Normandy wrote:

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

Makes it easier to remember. Rather have that than have to say to
people, "Er, what's your name again?"

David (in Normandy!!!!)

David WE Roberts 26-08-2009 06:35 PM

My water butt is empty

"Broadback" wrote in message
David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, David WE Roberts wrote:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has been
leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty enough to
do anything about it.

David

Where do you live Dave E? We will all go there for our holidays!

If you mean me, I live in Felixstowe which is a holiday resort.
By all means come for your holidays - it is really nice here unless you want
some rain on your garden.
Lots of B&B, hotels, camp sites, caravan parks.
[I have no financial interest as we try and avoid the Grockles ;-) ]

Good place for growing tomatoes as well, because first frosts can be as late
as November (I've had outdoor tomatoes still going at Christmas some years).

David WE Roberts 26-08-2009 06:38 PM

My water butt is empty

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

I hope you took cover while typing that! we have had barely a weeks sun
all summer and have had rain every single day since June
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

You lucky, lucky b*stard!

You could always move to a coastal resort with regular fine weather and a
dry microclimate. :-))

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 07:09 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Like Cornwall? ;-))

Kathy 26-08-2009 10:01 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

No, like Felixstowe! [Where it is actually raining for once :-}]

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Muddymike 26-08-2009 10:35 PM

My water butt is empty

Mine are still full, Its just too easy to pump water from the
well these days.

Mike

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 10:56 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Serves you right. ;-) Some of our family are in the Isle of Wight
atm and say it was dry and warm there today, if not actually sunny.
Wish we could say the same here, though it wasn't cold, I will admit!

David WE Roberts 27-08-2009 09:38 AM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

[...]

Damn!
Must have missed that - we were in Ipswich yesterday waiting for the man
from Siemens to come and change the gas meter at my daughter's house.
They gave an 08:00 to 20:00 appointment :-(
There was a sprinkling of rain in the morning, but barely enought to wet the
grass; just enough to settle all the dust out of the air onto the car.
It gave me the chance to add some more plants (lavender) to the dust bowl
which is her front garden, apply some Growmore and chicken sh*t, and cover
the lot with four bags of manure (which I expect to disappear without trace
within a month).
I then spent quite a lot of time watering with a hose pipe to try and get
enough moisture in to rescue the previous planting and give the new plants a
half way decent start.
If it doesn't rain I'll have to go back in a week or so to water the garden
again, I think.

Cheers

Dave R

Oh, and my water butt is STILL empty.

Pete Stockdale 27-08-2009 11:12 AM

My water butt is empty

[...]

All mine (eight) are overflowing !
You clearly need a larger catchment area and more butts.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

David in Normandy[_8_] 27-08-2009 01:30 PM

My water butt is empty

Pete Stockdale wrote:

All mine (eight) are overflowing !
You clearly need a larger catchment area and more butts.

I told my wife that her butt was too big - and got a slap :-(

Still no rain here. A few fine drops on the breeze just to tease the
plants.

Pete Stockdale 27-08-2009 05:20 PM

My water butt is empty

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Pete Stockdale wrote:

All mine (eight) are overflowing !
You clearly need a larger catchment area and more butts.

I told my wife that her butt was too big - and got a slap :-(

Still no rain here. A few fine drops on the breeze just to tease the
plants.

So I suppose my idea of more butts is totally off limits !

Regards
Pete

sutartsorric 27-08-2009 07:15 PM

My water butt is empty

On Aug 25, 2:18*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Oh FFS, just do what I do and fill it up from a hosepipe at the tap.

Guilty conscience? yes but at least it gets rid of the chlorine.

Kathy 27-08-2009 11:41 PM

My water butt is empty

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

[Bit of pruning]

[...]

I wouldn't get too upset David. It was just enough to pi*s the cats off,
but not enough to affect the garden.

mark 27-08-2009 11:48 PM

My water butt is empty

A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

or a gardener in this one?

mark

Gordon H[_3_] 28-08-2009 01:04 AM

My water butt is empty

In message , mark
writes

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...

You need to work on this anecdote.
mark

:)
I am doing...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H[_3_] 28-08-2009 10:22 AM

My water butt is empty

In message , mark
writes

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...

You need to work on this anecdote.
mark

Yep.

How about C|NK for coffee, and T|NK for tea?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H[_3_] 28-08-2009 10:49 AM

My water butt is empty

In message , mark
writes

A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

or a gardener in this one?

mark

Or a gardener and birdwatcher?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Pete Stockdale 28-08-2009 12:58 PM

My water butt is empty

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , mark
writes

A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous
life.

or a gardener in this one?

mark

Or a gardener and birdwatcher?

Yes - or perhaps anybody who has any respect for U.K. wildlife- birds in
particular.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

David WE Roberts 28-08-2009 05:57 PM

My water butt is empty

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , mark
writes

A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous
life.

or a gardener in this one?

mark

Or a gardener and birdwatcher?

Or a bit of a dog and a bit of a rat??

Some gardeners and occasional bird watchers really like cats :-)