GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mustard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186850-mustard.html)

Billit 26-08-2009 04:44 PM

mustard

could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of manuring.

Pete C[_2_] 26-08-2009 10:17 PM

mustard

Billit wrote:
could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use
mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get
on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of
manuring.

Try Googling 'green manure'. This is one result....
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile...een_manure.asp
HTH :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Pam Moore[_2_] 27-08-2009 12:08 PM

mustard

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:44:46 +0100, Billit
wrote:

could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use
mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get
on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of
manuring.

I used mustard successfully one year. I sowed it quite late, can't
remember when, on an open patch of land. I let it grow to about 9
inches then covered the whole area with black polythene for the
winter. The whole lot had rotted away by Spring, and I had nice
friable soil. I still had bindweed, dandelions etc but a spray of
weedkiller helped with those.
Rye is hard to dig in.
Phacelia has such pretty flowers that I couldn't bear to dig it in!
Legumes are good because they fix nitrogen, but never let them grow
too big.

Pam in Bristol

David in Normandy[_8_] 27-08-2009 03:47 PM

mustard

Pam Moore wrote:

I used mustard successfully one year. I sowed it quite late, can't
remember when, on an open patch of land. I let it grow to about 9
inches then covered the whole area with black polythene for the
winter. The whole lot had rotted away by Spring, and I had nice
friable soil.

Are there any issues regarding crop rotation? Mustard is a member of the
brassica family, so does this mean cabbages etc should not be grown on
the same land for a year where mustard was grown or vice-versa? Is there
a risk of disease propagation in the soil?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.