Old 26-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Wink mustard

could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of manuring.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mustard

Billit wrote:
could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use
mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get
on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of
manuring.

Try Googling 'green manure'. This is one result....
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile...een_manure.asp
HTH
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-08-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:44:46 +0100, Billit
wrote:

could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use
mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get
on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of
manuring.

I used mustard successfully one year. I sowed it quite late, can't
remember when, on an open patch of land. I let it grow to about 9
inches then covered the whole area with black polythene for the
winter. The whole lot had rotted away by Spring, and I had nice
friable soil. I still had bindweed, dandelions etc but a spray of
weedkiller helped with those.
Rye is hard to dig in.
Phacelia has such pretty flowers that I couldn't bear to dig it in!
Legumes are good because they fix nitrogen, but never let them grow
too big.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-08-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

I used mustard successfully one year. I sowed it quite late, can't
remember when, on an open patch of land. I let it grow to about 9
inches then covered the whole area with black polythene for the
winter. The whole lot had rotted away by Spring, and I had nice
friable soil.

Are there any issues regarding crop rotation? Mustard is a member of the
brassica family, so does this mean cabbages etc should not be grown on
the same land for a year where mustard was grown or vice-versa? Is there
a risk of disease propagation in the soil?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

"Plant ID" Garlic Mustard Garry Nixon Edible Gardening 0 04-01-2005 03:31 PM
Mustard Seeds Den United Kingdom 1 06-10-2004 06:49 AM
garlic mustard Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 2 22-04-2003 03:08 PM