Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed Potatoes

Hi all

Newb here
Are seed potatoes just a sample saved from last year's crop?
I have had a reasonable harvest (can't remember the variety) this year with
some still in the ground.
Should I be saving some for next year or buying new seeds?
If I keep mine, how do I prepare/store these?

TIA

Phil

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Are seed potatoes just a sample saved from last year's crop?

Yes.

The real seeds come from a seed head resembling a tomato (same family)

Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Newb here
Are seed potatoes just a sample saved from last year's crop?
I have had a reasonable harvest (can't remember the variety) this year

with
some still in the ground.
Should I be saving some for next year or buying new seeds?
If I keep mine, how do I prepare/store these?

TIA

Phil

Yes, you are correct. Seed potatoes are selected from last years crop.
I was brought up on a farm where all potatoes were stored in a cool dark
cellar and covered with straw to protect them from the frost. During the
winter they would be sorted into 'eaters' and 'seed', the latter being
about the size of a hen's egg and free from disease. Try growing your
own seed and also some which you have purchased and compare the results.
Lots of information here about chitting potatoes:
http://tinyurl.com/n6a8qz

Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote

Yes, you are correct. Seed potatoes are selected from last years crop.
I was brought up on a farm where all potatoes were stored in a cool dark
cellar and covered with straw to protect them from the frost. During the
winter they would be sorted into 'eaters' and 'seed', the latter being
about the size of a hen's egg and free from disease. Try growing your
own seed and also some which you have purchased and compare the results.
Lots of information here about chitting potatoes:
http://tinyurl.com/n6a8qz

Thanks Emrys

One problem may be saving some seed potatoes from the pot.
Not that many left so er indoors will be eager to get her hands on them.

Phil

Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Newb here
Are seed potatoes just a sample saved from last year's crop?

Yes and no.

They're from a previous years crop, but normally grown specially in
disease-free conditions.

You can plant your own crop out again but you're far more likely to get
diseased produce.

growing potatoes and onions from seed Tim Challenger United Kingdom 14 01-03-2005 07:37 AM
On the way to buy some seed potatoes! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 22-02-2005 10:24 PM
Seed potatoes Ron United Kingdom 13 25-02-2003 05:42 AM
Got my seed potatoes - now what? Sarah Dale United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 10:47 PM
Fancy seed potatoes (Cambridge) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 30-01-2003 12:27 PM