GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Walnuts :-( (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187298-walnuts.html)

[email protected] 19-09-2009 08:47 PM

Walnuts :-(

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ophelia[_4_] 19-09-2009 09:31 PM

Walnuts :-(

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

Bob Hobden 19-09-2009 09:34 PM

Walnuts :-(

Nick wrote...

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Pickled?

Well I am but I meant the walnuts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Christina Websell 19-09-2009 09:43 PM

Walnuts :-(

wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

I understand they can be pickled. Never tried it as have no walnut trees.

Tina

Judith in France 19-09-2009 09:53 PM

Walnuts :-(

On Sep 19, 8:47*pm, wrote:
Lots of them. *They make good soup. *But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. *From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. *Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Press for oil, it's wonderful to cook with.

Judith

[email protected] 19-09-2009 09:53 PM

Walnuts :-(

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

Interesting. Thanks very much.

But they are no longer suitable for that, or pickled walnuts, as
they are half-ripe. They can be shelled and made into soup, but
I don't know what else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

alan.holmes 19-09-2009 10:08 PM

Walnuts :-(

wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

Interesting. Thanks very much.

But they are no longer suitable for that, or pickled walnuts, as
they are half-ripe. They can be shelled and made into soup, but
I don't know what else.

How do you make soup out of them?

I have a number which are ripe as well as some which are not!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

alan.holmes 19-09-2009 10:09 PM

Walnuts :-(

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

I understand they can be pickled. Never tried it as have no walnut trees.

Would you like a walnut tree?

I'm sure there are some growing around my garden?

Alan

Tina

beccabunga 20-09-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 864848)
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

How about pickling them?

David in Normandy[_8_] 20-09-2009 09:27 AM

Walnuts :-(

wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup.

Nick - can the green walnuts be harvested directly from the tree for
soup or are they too unripe like that? I ask because very few fall to
the ground here - they are all eaten by (crows?) which perch in the
trees and scoff the lot when the walnuts are just a little riper than
they are now. Maybe worth getting the step ladder up and harvesting
those in reach? Or not?

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.

[email protected] 20-09-2009 10:04 AM

Walnuts :-(

How do you make soup out of them?

The recipe came from Jane Grigson's "Good Things", and she took it
from Elizabeth David's "Summer Cooking". It is similar to:

www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Walnut%20soup

However, there is considerable confusion in this thread about what
constitutes a green walnut.

Green walnuts for pickling (and schnapps?) must be picked before
the shells start to form, typically in May or early June, and are
between the size of a large olive and a smallish bantam's egg.

The walnuts for soup should be partly ripe, with fully-formed
shells, and their outsides may be solid and green, black and
flaking or rotting, or have come off entirely.

Walnuts for keeping need to be fully ripe and dry; if not, they
will go mouldy remarkably fast; and it is tricky to get them dry
in the UK. If the summer was too dark and cold, they won't have
much oil in and will shrivel in storage. I won't even try to
keep any of mine this year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

alan.holmes 20-09-2009 10:33 AM

Walnuts :-(

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Lots of them. They make good soup.

Nick - can the green walnuts be harvested directly from the tree for soup
or are they too unripe like that? I ask because very few fall to the
ground here - they are all eaten by (crows?)

More likely to be tree rats, also known as squirrels!

Alan

BAC 21-09-2009 09:50 AM

Walnuts :-(

wrote in message

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Feed them to some pigs?

Christina Websell 21-09-2009 09:04 PM

Walnuts :-(

alan.holmes wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

I understand they can be pickled. Never tried it as have no walnut
trees.

Would you like a walnut tree?

I'm sure there are some growing around my garden?

Alan

I'll swap you for a hazel.
No, not really, I have far too many trees as it is, but thank you for the
offer.

Tina