Old 19-09-2009, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnuts :-(

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote...

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Pickled?

Well I am but I meant the walnuts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-09-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 19, 8:47*pm, wrote:
Lots of them. *They make good soup. *But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. *From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. *Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Press for oil, it's wonderful to cook with.

Judith
Old 19-09-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

Interesting. Thanks very much.

But they are no longer suitable for that, or pickled walnuts, as
they are half-ripe. They can be shelled and made into soup, but
I don't know what else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
wrote:
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

Interesting. Thanks very much.

But they are no longer suitable for that, or pickled walnuts, as
they are half-ripe. They can be shelled and made into soup, but
I don't know what else.

How do you make soup out of them?

I have a number which are ripe as well as some which are not!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
How about pickling them?

Old 20-09-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How do you make soup out of them?

The recipe came from Jane Grigson's "Good Things", and she took it
from Elizabeth David's "Summer Cooking". It is similar to:

www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Walnut%20soup

However, there is considerable confusion in this thread about what
constitutes a green walnut.

Green walnuts for pickling (and schnapps?) must be picked before
the shells start to form, typically in May or early June, and are
between the size of a large olive and a smallish bantam's egg.

The walnuts for soup should be partly ripe, with fully-formed
shells, and their outsides may be solid and green, black and
flaking or rotting, or have come off entirely.

Walnuts for keeping need to be fully ripe and dry; if not, they
will go mouldy remarkably fast; and it is tricky to get them dry
in the UK. If the summer was too dark and cold, they won't have
much oil in and will shrivel in storage. I won't even try to
keep any of mine this year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-09-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message

Lots of them. They make good soup. But, as none have ripened
due to the non-summer, they won't keep. From the ones I have
opened, I doubt that many will germinate when planted by the
squirrels, so that's something.

Mutter. Any other ideas for using them?

Feed them to some pigs?

How can I sell walnuts? Michael Kohrs alt.forestry 0 21-09-2003 07:23 AM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
stop the walnuts rebecc Gardening 11 16-04-2003 03:20 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM