Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Found Runaway Grape Vine

While clearing out some shrubs and I found a vine tangled within the
branches which stretch 15-20 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
bottom.
How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now October
here.
Should it be cut back to short or left to the spring and cut back?
TIA

Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message
While clearing out some shrubs and I found a vine tangled within the
branches which stretch 15-20 feet and must be at least 10 years old.
I traced it back to the main stem which is about 25-30 mm thick at the
bottom.
How should I deal with it to get it growing properly as it is now October
here.
Should it be cut back to short or left to the spring and cut back?
TIA

Grape vines should be pruned in late January/early February after at least
one good frost.

This is the time when they are dormant, and so don't bleed sap out of the
cuts.

After that, you are supposed to pinch out growing shoots to shape the vine
and next winter cut out the fruiting branches and tie in replacements from
the current year's growth.

Having said all that, if the vine is healthy and you are not aiming to
maximise yield of fruit you can prune it at any time of the year - just be
prepared for some bleeding from the cuts.

One thing I keep intending to do (but haven't yet - and I currently don't
have any vines) is to pick the new leaves in the spring to eat.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:17:26 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I've grown two little cuttings off my vine and was wondering what to
do with them now. Would be interesting to pot one up and then put the
other outside somewhere sheltered and see what happens I spose.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk