GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lacecap hydrangea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187767-lacecap-hydrangea.html)

Bob 14-10-2009 09:33 AM

lacecap hydrangea

I've got a huge one. It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control.

Also leaves are currently very pale. Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

Emrys Davies 14-10-2009 02:10 PM

lacecap hydrangea

bob wrote in message

Bob,

If you go to www.google.com and search using: pruning lacecap
hydrangeas + photos you will find exactly what you require. Hope
that helps.

Judith in France 14-10-2009 05:37 PM

lacecap hydrangea

On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
I've got a huge one. *It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. *For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? *At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control. *

Also leaves are currently very pale. *Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

I hack mine right back without problem, I have Japaneze Hydrangea. I
have taken about a dozen cuttings and they have all rooted, no loss at
all. I just plunge them several inches into the soil in a protected
position leaving only 1 inch of topgrowth. I give most away every
Spring but I may well move a mature shrub and replant with a new one.
I find they are almost indestructible. I give mine a feed once a year
and I buy a powdered supplement especially for Hydrangea.

Judith

Judith

doug odom 15-10-2009 07:12 AM

lacecap hydrangea

On Oct 14, 4:33*am, bob wrote:
I've got a huge one. *It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. *For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? *At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control. *

Also leaves are currently very pale. *Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

You could just try weaving it around a pole or tresel of some kind.

Bob 15-10-2009 08:39 AM

lacecap hydrangea

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:10:57 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

bob wrote in message
.. .

Bob,

If you go to www.google.com and search using: pruning lacecap
hydrangeas + photos you will find exactly what you require. Hope
that helps.

That's always my starting point, it's my homepage and I squander most
of my life on it. In fact my search was more specific since I
included "too big" (quotes essential) in the search field but when the
bulk of the advice came back mixed and had already failed (eg; "don't
prune it", "prune it like a mophead") I came here in the hope of
efficiently seeking out something that has worked for this specific
problem.

Bob 15-10-2009 08:42 AM

lacecap hydrangea

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:37:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Judith - perhaps this is the only answer; a cycle of cuttings
and destroying the old plant.

Would you hack back now or wait until spring?

Judith in France 15-10-2009 09:05 AM

lacecap hydrangea

wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Just popping in for a minute today :-) I would hack back now, some
people wait until the end of the month, I ensure I have all my
cuttings done the week of All Souls, whenever it occurs in Autumn.
Treat the cuttings roughtly, tear off the lower leaves leaving just a
couple at the top.

Judith

Bob 15-10-2009 11:46 AM

lacecap hydrangea

wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Sounds good, this has given me the confidence to cut back mercilessly.
Will do as you do.

Thanks again.