Old 14-10-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default lacecap hydrangea

I've got a huge one. It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control.

Also leaves are currently very pale. Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

Old 14-10-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote in message

Bob,

If you go to www.google.com and search using: pruning lacecap
hydrangeas + photos you will find exactly what you require. Hope
that helps.

Old 14-10-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
I've got a huge one. *It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. *For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? *At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control. *

Also leaves are currently very pale. *Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

I hack mine right back without problem, I have Japaneze Hydrangea. I
have taken about a dozen cuttings and they have all rooted, no loss at
all. I just plunge them several inches into the soil in a protected
position leaving only 1 inch of topgrowth. I give most away every
Spring but I may well move a mature shrub and replant with a new one.
I find they are almost indestructible. I give mine a feed once a year
and I buy a powdered supplement especially for Hydrangea.

Judith

Judith
Old 15-10-2009, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 14, 4:33*am, bob wrote:
I've got a huge one. *It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. *For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? *At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control. *

Also leaves are currently very pale. *Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

You could just try weaving it around a pole or tresel of some kind.

Old 15-10-2009, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:10:57 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

bob wrote in message
.. .

Bob,

If you go to www.google.com and search using: pruning lacecap
hydrangeas + photos you will find exactly what you require. Hope
that helps.

That's always my starting point, it's my homepage and I squander most
of my life on it. In fact my search was more specific since I
included "too big" (quotes essential) in the search field but when the
bulk of the advice came back mixed and had already failed (eg; "don't
prune it", "prune it like a mophead") I came here in the hope of
efficiently seeking out something that has worked for this specific
problem.

Old 15-10-2009, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:37:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Judith - perhaps this is the only answer; a cycle of cuttings
and destroying the old plant.

Would you hack back now or wait until spring?
Old 15-10-2009, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Just popping in for a minute today :-) I would hack back now, some
people wait until the end of the month, I ensure I have all my
cuttings done the week of All Souls, whenever it occurs in Autumn.
Treat the cuttings roughtly, tear off the lower leaves leaving just a
couple at the top.

Judith
Old 15-10-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
[...]

Sounds good, this has given me the confidence to cut back mercilessly.
Will do as you do.

Thanks again.

hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM