GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Measuring Soil pH (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187801-measuring-soil-ph.html)

mark 16-10-2009 09:10 AM

Measuring Soil pH

Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

NogbadtheCool 16-10-2009 12:23 PM

Measuring Soil pH

On Oct 16, 9:10*am, "mark" wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

I know mine aren't (actually isn't); I'm told ericaceous compost is
ideal but they want it wet and boggy. Bob Flowerdew suggested if you
want to fill in a garden pond bberries would be very happy there

Jeff Layman[_2_] 16-10-2009 02:31 PM

Measuring Soil pH

mark wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

Do you have any other ericaceous plants growing nearby? If so, you can
probably grow blueberries. It's many years since I grew one, but it was
quite happy in Sussex clay at pH 6.5, surprisingly.

--
Jeff

Dave Hill 17-10-2009 07:01 PM

Measuring Soil pH

On 16 Oct, 14:31, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
mark wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

Do you have any other ericaceous plants growing nearby? *If so, you can
probably grow blueberries. *It's many years since I grew one, but it was
quite happy in Sussex clay at pH 6.5, surprisingly.

--
Jeff

You can buy a cheap probe type PH meter from many places. check it
when you get it home, I test in a bottle of vinigar, if it reads the
wrong way round then you can se salder the wires (Reverse them),
I bought I, read the wrong way round, I phoned the firm, they sent me
another same problem, so I spent 3 mins with the saldering iron and
now have 2 that read OK.
David Hill

Sacha[_4_] 17-10-2009 07:24 PM

Measuring Soil pH

On 2009-10-16 09:10:21 +0100, "mark" said:

Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

If you have look at what else is in your garden or what your neighbours
grow, you'll get a good idea of what your soil is like. But most
garden centres sell such kits. I can't recommend one as I've never
used one but I'm sure someone will.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com