Old 16-10-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Measuring Soil pH

Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

Old 16-10-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 16, 9:10*am, "mark" wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

I know mine aren't (actually isn't); I'm told ericaceous compost is
ideal but they want it wet and boggy. Bob Flowerdew suggested if you
want to fill in a garden pond bberries would be very happy there
Old 16-10-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

Do you have any other ericaceous plants growing nearby? If so, you can
probably grow blueberries. It's many years since I grew one, but it was
quite happy in Sussex clay at pH 6.5, surprisingly.

--
Jeff

Old 17-10-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 16 Oct, 14:31, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
mark wrote:
Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

Do you have any other ericaceous plants growing nearby? *If so, you can
probably grow blueberries. *It's many years since I grew one, but it was
quite happy in Sussex clay at pH 6.5, surprisingly.

--
Jeff

You can buy a cheap probe type PH meter from many places. check it
when you get it home, I test in a bottle of vinigar, if it reads the
wrong way round then you can se salder the wires (Reverse them),
I bought I, read the wrong way round, I phoned the firm, they sent me
another same problem, so I spent 3 mins with the saldering iron and
now have 2 that read OK.
David Hill
Old 17-10-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-16 09:10:21 +0100, "mark" said:

Any recommendations for a soil testing probe or kit. Not wishing to spend
much as I only want to know if my blueberries are in suitable soil.

mark

If you have look at what else is in your garden or what your neighbours
grow, you'll get a good idea of what your soil is like. But most
garden centres sell such kits. I can't recommend one as I've never
used one but I'm sure someone will.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com