GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Burning wood in the house (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187944-burning-wood-house.html)

geordief 25-10-2009 03:02 PM

Burning wood in the house

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

beccabunga 25-10-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordief (Post 867856)
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive, especially when burnt wet.

geordief 26-10-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 867910)
Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive, especially when burnt wet.

thanks
well that's a pity....

[email protected] 26-10-2009 08:42 AM

Burning wood in the house

In article ,
beccabunga wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Spider[_2_] 26-10-2009 01:18 PM

Burning wood in the house

wrote in message
In article ,
beccabunga wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand upwind
from it.

Spider

[email protected] 26-10-2009 01:34 PM

Burning wood in the house

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand upwind
from it.

Really? That sounds most implausible. Hydrogen cyanide is extremely
flammable, with a flash point of -17.78 degrees Celsius and an
autoignition temperature of only 538 degrees Celsius.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

Obviously, don't burn it under circumstances where you might be at
risk from carbon monoxide, because hydrogen cyanide is even more
toxic, but LOTS of the Rosaceae contain quite a lot of cyanides
and Prunus laurocerasus isn't as extreme as people think. Every
time I shred my Cotoneaster franchetti, there is a strong smell
of bitter almonds, for example :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 26-10-2009 02:09 PM

Burning wood in the house

I have a boiler so I don't heat my home with wood but I do have a fire
place. I use a duralog for the fire place cause it has special crystals
inside the log that burn different colors.

Judith in France 26-10-2009 05:43 PM

Burning wood in the house

--
beccabunga

We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks. We also burn frene and some pine as we have a lot of pine
beams over 150 years old from the barn. We had the roof replaced as
it was infested with Capricorne. This pine doesn't spark but I doubt
there is any resin left in it after all this time.

Judith

Sacha[_4_] 26-10-2009 05:54 PM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

Oak is very dense, so burns slowly so presumably that keeps a fire in a
long time and other stuff gingers it up? Some old wooden mantles were
made of oak because it was so hard to set alight easily. We don't
have a wood burner but when the Aga dies and it must be around 50 to 60
years old, we're certainly not getting another one at those prices!
--
Sacha

Spider[_2_] 26-10-2009 05:55 PM

Burning wood in the house

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand
upwind
from it.

Really? That sounds most implausible. Hydrogen cyanide is extremely
flammable, with a flash point of -17.78 degrees Celsius and an
autoignition temperature of only 538 degrees Celsius.

It is, as you know, a well-documented fact that laurel (prunus laurocerasus)
contains hydrogen cyanide. When put on a domestic fire - indoors or
outdoors - it will usually smoulder for some time before catching fire.
Certainly, when the cyanide gas catches fire, it will be burnt off, but
until then it will rise in the warm air and disperse. Outdoors, one can
stand upwind and hope to avoid it but, I for one would not want to risk
breathing that contaminated air indoors in a confined space. Unfortunately,
my ex-fireman father is not available for a couple of days, but I will
discuss this with him when next we speak.
It is just possible that being brought up as the daughter of a fireman, I am
a little paranoid :~), but I would rather be paranoid than dead.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

Obviously, don't burn it under circumstances where you might be at
risk from carbon monoxide, because hydrogen cyanide is even more
toxic, but LOTS of the Rosaceae contain quite a lot of cyanides
and Prunus laurocerasus isn't as extreme as people think. Every
time I shred my Cotoneaster franchetti, there is a strong smell
of bitter almonds, for example :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for the link, btw, most interesting.

Spider

[email protected] 26-10-2009 06:11 PM

Burning wood in the house

In article ,
Spider wrote:

It is, as you know, a well-documented fact that laurel (prunus laurocerasus)
contains hydrogen cyanide. When put on a domestic fire - indoors or
outdoors - it will usually smoulder for some time before catching fire.
Certainly, when the cyanide gas catches fire, it will be burnt off, but
until then it will rise in the warm air and disperse. Outdoors, one can
stand upwind and hope to avoid it but, I for one would not want to risk
breathing that contaminated air indoors in a confined space. Unfortunately,
my ex-fireman father is not available for a couple of days, but I will
discuss this with him when next we speak.

As I said, that holds for most of the Rosaceae, and in particular
most of the Prunus genus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Rance 26-10-2009 11:24 PM

Burning wood in the house

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 Nick Maclaren wrote:

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

And mulberry. It's quite spectacular.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Judith in France 27-10-2009 10:07 AM

Burning wood in the house

On Oct 26, 5:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:43:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

be careful you don't melt the bars.
--

Martin

What bars :-)

Judith

Judith in France 27-10-2009 10:09 AM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

The oak we burn is very dry, it doesn't just slumber away, cut to the
correct size it burns at a steady rate. When the oven needs to come
up to temperature, my neighbour tells me that it will need to be mixed
with a lighter wood. Agas certainly are a price, so is Godin but they
are supposed to last a lifetime. Even secondhand these monsters fetch
a good price.

Judith

Jonathan[_3_] 27-10-2009 10:49 AM

Burning wood in the house

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

I'm burning 19 Century roofing lathes at the moment as kindling and
they spark amazingly. (It's in a wood burner.)

Jonathan

Sacha[_4_] 27-10-2009 10:54 AM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-27 10:09:39 +0000, Judith in France

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

Funnily enough, I noticed a 1974 Aga for sale at £950 in this morning's
local paper. I don't think our 1950s or 60s model would quite make
that. ;-) The oak sounds what I was thinking of - it's burning at a
steady rate but then helped along by hotter burning stuff.
--
Sacha

Emery Davis[_3_] 27-10-2009 12:21 PM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Judith,

Getting cepes now in your neck of the woods? We picked over 3 kg
yesterday! ;)

Funny no one has mentioned sweet chestnut. I'd guess it's the most
"explosive" of woods, it can send an ember from an open fire many
yards across the room, even from old wood. (Green chestnut is pretty
hard to burn, anyway.)

Sadly in France we burn lots and lots of oak. We rarely replant it
either... It has a very straight grain and so is easy to split, burns
hot and doesn't go out in a good stove. Frene -- ash in english -- is
very fine wood for the stove or fireplace but difficult to split.

I'd not compare the Godin quality with Aga, at least not in the current
stoves. (I assume you're talking about a combination woodstove/cooker.)
Aga is far superior, but also more expensive. The straight woodstoves
from Godin are still decent quality (we have one) but the cookers have
dropped. A couple of years ago we decided that the somewhat less
expensive Lacanche was better stuff -- a friend has a Godin cooker to
compare with -- and we have not been disappointed.

regards,

-E

Jonathan[_3_] 27-10-2009 12:52 PM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
[...]

You need to split ash when it's green - quite easy then.

Jonathan

Judith in France 27-10-2009 01:55 PM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Emery, good to see you! We bought a Godin about 12 years ago, for
cooking, it was pretty expensive then, maybe the prices have dropped?
I can only say that it was pretty good in quality and performance and
I suppose I should have likened it to a Rayburn:-) The woodstove is a
Supra and I can recommend it. I haven't heard of Lacanche, wish you
told me before we ordered one :-)

I have been mushrooming, unfortunately we had some vicious frost last
week and when we went into the woods near Ambert, they were frozen
solid. How do you treat your cepes, omelettes, dried, what?

Judith

Judith in France 27-10-2009 02:04 PM

Burning wood in the house

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

We have a lot of old wood like this, it too goes into the woodburner
although it doesn't seem to spark, much. I remember when we had some
work done on a house about 33 years ago, that the lathes sparked,
maybe some treatment in the wood?

Judith

Emery Davis[_3_] 27-10-2009 07:33 PM

Burning wood in the house

Judith in France wrote:
[]
Hi Emery, good to see you! We bought a Godin about 12 years ago, for
cooking, it was pretty expensive then, maybe the prices have dropped?
I can only say that it was pretty good in quality and performance and
I suppose I should have likened it to a Rayburn:-) The woodstove is a
Supra and I can recommend it. I haven't heard of Lacanche, wish you
told me before we ordered one :-)

The stuff is definitely not cheap, I'd be surprised if the prices had
dropped. In fact, none of it is cheap, but what we priced the
Aga cookers were nearly twice the price of Godin. What I've heard
is indeed that the Godin quality has dropped in recent years,
which is born out by our friend's (not that we would tell her
that!) Lacanche has a rather annoying web site

http://www.lacanche.com/en/index.html

but it is very high quality stuff.

I have been mushrooming, unfortunately we had some vicious frost last
week and when we went into the woods near Ambert, they were frozen
solid. How do you treat your cepes, omelettes, dried, what?

We've had some frost but not enough to get into the sous-bois. Not that
it's a very good year for cepes, too dry really.

We slice and freeze raw the pristine ones, anything less that perfect
gets cooked in butter and then frozen. Of course we started out with
a big plate of them on the table!

No cepes today, but did come across some delicious macrolepiota procera,
excellent just fried whole in butter or olive oil.

cheers,

-E

jonbey 27-10-2009 10:19 PM

Can't you just get a fire guard? What is the problem with sparks?

No Name 28-10-2009 10:28 AM

Growing yams in England?

jonbey wrote:
My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Aren't yams very similar to sweet potatoes? (which you can buy
easilly from supermarkets, actually, especially this time of year)

I've grown sweet potatoes with small success, but they didn't seem
to be worth the space and effort for the amount we got. I think
they may have needed more water and warmth when I did them.

[email protected] 28-10-2009 10:34 AM

Growing yams in England?

In article , wrote:
jonbey wrote:
My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Aren't yams very similar to sweet potatoes? (which you can buy
easilly from supermarkets, actually, especially this time of year)

No. Unfortunately, the word "yam" essentially means "edible root"
in the countries where they are grown, despite what the OED says.
It can mean pretty well anything, but almost all are tropical.

The most 'official' meaning is Dioscorea species, which are unrelated
to Ipomoea batatas, the sweet potato, and taste very different.

I've grown sweet potatoes with small success, but they didn't seem
to be worth the space and effort for the amount we got. I think
they may have needed more water and warmth when I did them.

Yup. They really need 6 months of warm, damp conditions - where warm
is close to the maximum that the UK gets to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-10-2009 12:12 PM

Growing yams in England?

In message ,
writes
In article , wrote:
jonbey wrote:
[...]

Would growing them in a heated greenhouse work, or do we need more
sunlight as well?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Judith in France 28-10-2009 05:31 PM

Growing yams in England?

On Oct 27, 10:17*pm, jonbey wrote:
My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

--
jonbey

I can't advise on growing them but I do see them in ordinary French
markets, maybe a market near you has some?

Judith

[email protected] 28-10-2009 05:38 PM

Growing yams in England?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I've grown sweet potatoes with small success, but they didn't seem
to be worth the space and effort for the amount we got. I think
they may have needed more water and warmth when I did them.

Yup. They really need 6 months of warm, damp conditions - where warm
is close to the maximum that the UK gets to.

Would growing them in a heated greenhouse work, or do we need more
sunlight as well?

Dunno, but I suspect that we have enough light - provided they were
grown from March onwards. The humid tropics doesn't get as much
light as you might think, especially under the canopy (which is
pretty well the only environment that occurs naturally). That doesn't
apply to the arid tropics, of course, and many places are both.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 28-10-2009 06:28 PM

Growing yams in England?

"jonbey" wrote

My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Quite common to see them in the greengrocers in Southall.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Muddymike 30-10-2009 09:10 AM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-27 10:09:39 +0000, Judith in France

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:

Funnily enough, I noticed a 1974 Aga for sale at £950 in this
morning's local paper. I don't think our 1950s or 60s model
would quite make that. ;-) The oak sounds what I was thinking
of - it's burning at a steady rate but then helped along by
hotter burning stuff.
--
Sacha

Six years ago we sold our 1950s Aga for over £500 to a company
that renovates them, and they came and collected it. That was
after using it for 22 years having bought it for £60 and
installing it myself. Did you know a 2 oven Aga contains seven
bin bags of insulation. Guess how I know this?

Mike

Sacha[_4_] 30-10-2009 10:29 AM

Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-27 10:09:39 +0000, Judith in France

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:

Funnily enough, I noticed a 1974 Aga for sale at £950 in this
morning's local paper. I don't think our 1950s or 60s model
would quite make that. ;-) The oak sounds what I was thinking
of - it's burning at a steady rate but then helped along by
hotter burning stuff.
--
Sacha

Six years ago we sold our 1950s Aga for over £500 to a company
that renovates them, and they came and collected it. That was
after using it for 22 years having bought it for £60 and
installing it myself. Did you know a 2 oven Aga contains seven
bin bags of insulation. Guess how I know this?

Mike

Ummmm, now let me see....... ;-)
--
Sacha

Janet Tweedy 30-10-2009 04:53 PM

Burning wood in the house

In article
,
Judith in France writes
We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks.

It's a swine to start burning though, it just never seems to catch.We
have a multi fuel fire/stove and bung anything in there. Old Christmas
tree leaves make a spectacular display then peter out.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Christina Websell 02-11-2009 12:11 AM

Burning wood in the house

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France writes
We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks.

It's a swine to start burning though, it just never seems to catch.We have
a multi fuel fire/stove and bung anything in there. Old Christmas tree
leaves make a spectacular display then peter out.

I've had a woodburner for 25 years, long before it was fashionable.
Favourite wood is ash - it burns well and even if not long seasoned it
won't tar your chimney up.
Oak is good when the fire is burning well with other wood, but as you say,
you can't start a fire with oak.
I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my woodburner - I am out at work 5/7 and
have to start a fresh fire every evening. If you can keep it going all the
time you can use oak as it's slow burning.
If my fire is a bit sulky (it has its moments) I just go outside and cut a
small branch of my Lawsons Cypressus which has so much resin in it it makes
the fire go like a bomb.

Tina

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-11-2009 04:13 PM

Growing yams in England?

In article ,
says...

My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

--
jonbey

Its possible to grow most of the yams in the UK but only as annuals and
you would be hard pressed to get a crop, but as my local Tesco's has them
year round why bother?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Alan 02-11-2009 05:34 PM

Growing yams in England?

In message , jonbey
wrote

My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Surely Yams are just Sweet Potatos? If so they are available in all the
leading supermarkets.

--
Alan

K 02-11-2009 05:58 PM

Growing yams in England?

Alan writes
In message , jonbey
wrote

My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Surely Yams are just Sweet Potatos? If so they are available in all the
leading supermarkets.

No. Sweet potatoes may be yams, but not all yams are sweet potatoes.
--
Kay

[email protected] 02-11-2009 06:07 PM

Growing yams in England?

In article ,
K wrote:
Alan writes
In message , jonbey
wrote

My wife is Brazilian, and she is craving yams. Cannot buy them anywhere
(can order online but costs stupid money).

Has anyone here successfully grown them in England? If so, how?

Surely Yams are just Sweet Potatos? If so they are available in all the
leading supermarkets.

No. Sweet potatoes may be yams, but not all yams are sweet potatoes.

Anyway, sweet potatoes aren't yams, except in a few places the other
side of the pond.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.